Start a new thread

1 to 7 of 7 replies

Hi I have the three trees above which have sentimental meaning, they have not looked the best but have produced fruit (30 cherries, 10 plums and no nectarines). There are some dead branches on some of the trees and they generally don't look great. I was thinking of re potting into some large 100litre containers this autumn and trimming the branches, is this a good idea? Any other tips?
Alan4711

Hi , personally i would check all the roots for any probs ,sort any  probs out, re -pot with John Innes no 3 with 20% added grit half a hand full each of FBB some slow release fertilizer and look up how and when to prune each tree then give em a nice spot for summer

Thanks for the reply, have you got any pointers on what to check for when examining the roots?

What is Fbb?
nutcutlet

Hi Fisher. Fish Blood and Bone I should think.

You'd be looking for anything alive, insects or larvae, whether it's pot bound, how dry it is. Sometimes when a pot is totally full of roots water and feed just runs round the root ball and out of the bottom,  the plant can't take it up.

Alan4711

spot on Nut,,,,iv got 14 last years fig cuttings  all potbound allready and needing to pot on they were fed on FBB and comfry/seaweed Tea , they take water every day or sulk, off to get some no3 and bigger pots, waiting for home base or wilko to do there last sell off ,got a big bucket of FBB £6 last year, good luck fish. 

Advertisement

A tip for pruning/trimming is not to leave it too late. Unlike apples and pears its not a good idea to prune plums or cherries during the winter months as this can introduce silver leaf disease. If you are repotting soon then a trim anytime now should be fine.

Alan4711

Hi M.O.K, i was advised also apples under 3 years old were best summer pruned,hope this was right as i did my 4 new apples and a Gage in late July  to miss the silver leaf spores due in is it Oct/Nov  or was it Sept,Oct not too sure, good luck all, rain threatening in Norfolk