Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Allotment websites

Does anybody know of any allotment websites where plot holders contribute and other plot holders appreciate reading the contributions?  I don't mean a site updated by one person (like a blog) but a site that is for all the plot holders on one allotment site.

I look after the website for the allotments where I have a plot and have been asked for ideas for contributions.  Therefore I'm trying to find out if others have websites with content that is added frequently and whether plotholders value this sort of thing.

Thanks for any information.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

Try http://www.allotments4all.co.uk

That is run by an Allotment holder and full of people who have them. Been going a fair number of years too.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065

Yes.  A4A has some very knowledgeable and helpful contributors with topics on everything from growing to eating the produce plus chat and fun too.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

Our allotment has a website, up dated by the association. I found it useful, pictures are updated and the allotment rules are on it. Some are a little odd, like you can't bring guns on site...useful to know image one holder apparently brought a gun on site many yrs ago to shoot the rabbits... someone has driven a digger on site too, these aren't allowed for health and safety reasons plus we aren't insured for themimage

We also have a facebook page which all the plot holders can use. I've never been on it as I don't do facebook but I'm given to understand other plot holders go on it. 

Facebook was seen as an open forum which everyone could join if they wished. Things like growing tips, recipe's, allotment news etc are posted... 

The association still e-mail information to plot holders and we have two notice boards on site. One for association notices and the other for plot holders to put any thing related to allotmenteering on although the latter is seldom used. 

There are 80 plots on our site and I think the association do their best to keep everyone in touch with each other and plot holders can choose which one they want to use or not as the case maybe.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

Jim, I'm sure if you started a " thread" on here, you'd find plenty joining in.

Devon.
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

There are a couple on here, one I started and one started by Baza. There's also a seed swap thread and I think there is also a recipe thread.The seed swap went a little quiet in the summer, guess there aren't as many seeds to swap then but it's more active now. I'm happy to be wrong but the recipe one seems more seasonal, the last time I looked in it was jams and preserves which was ever so useful at a time when I had gluts with currants, them blackberries...image

• Thanks for all the info.  Perhaps I wasn't clear but we are trying to see if we can increase interest for our allotment association's website rather than sites for anybody (interesting though they are).  We already have basic information but our association's committee (we have one hundred plots) want to see if our website can have more content.

Seed/plant exchanges and diseases are good suggestions and it looks like people are interested in a local site from your comments Zoomer44.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065

Take a look at A4A and other allotment blogs and see what you like that can be applied to you own site.  

Talk to your members about what they would like to see there - eg:- tips and guides on sowing and planting times, crop rotation, soil prep, seed and seedling swaps, surplus crops swaps, recipes for produce, shared seed/manure/compost orders to cut costs, advice on growing more unusual crops etc.

Make sure they know about your website and, if technologically challenged by a lack of PC skills or access, help them work it out.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 8,478

There is an allottment site on hear which I have found really useful , I will try and put on hear image

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 8,478

Hello again the site is called " New allottment OMG in Talkback " see if you can find it image

• If your trying to raise interest in your allotment website try reaching out on social media, making friends and liking posts from like minded fan pages.