Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Are courgette seeds viable?

Just that really.

I harvested my courgette (yes single!!) I let it grow into a "marrow"

The seeds are large, about 15mm. Can I save them & will they grow?

Cheers

Chris

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Hi chris, I doubt if they're ripe but if they are they should be viable. If it's an F1 hybrid the next generation won't be as the parent.

All sorts of possibles for why you only got one fruit but I wouldn't use seed from such a bad performer, it might be in the genesimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    I agree with Nut, but nothing ventured and all that, would get a pack of seed too, just to be on the safe side image
  • I will buy some more seeds anyway, just curious.

They still have some pithy flesh on them, how should I treat them. Should they be cleaned & dried or what?

I have no idea what variety it was, any recommendations?

Yes, clean them and dry them really well before storing, if there is any moisture they will go mouldy image

If you want large fruits, you may as well grow marrows, pretty much the same thing, just bigger from what i remember image

I grew black forest this year and have been really pleased with them image
  • Thanks bekkie, a climber,image that would suite our south facing fence perfectly I think?

Mine arent doing much climbing, but are very healthy and productive, i had 100 percent germination too image