Start a new thread

1 to 9 of 9 replies

do they have raspberry beetle larvae?

They are definitely Autumn Bliss as I planted them, I'm sure I cut back to near the ground in spring as that is mentioned as to why they might be fruiting now.

I'd be quite happy but they have the white larvae in and my children now won't eat them!

Is this because the weather has almost been autumnal since the hot spell ended in June (we are in the south east)?  Should I be cutting them to near the ground even later in the spring?

Thanks for any advice.

I can't help re the beetle but we had Autumn Bliss on our allotment and they always started fruiting about now and then continued until the first frosts.

I guess cutting them back later would delay them - maybe you could experiment next year and do half later than the other half. 

Lyn

My autumn ones have the tiny flower buds at the moment, it will be ages before they fruit. But then we are about three/four weeks behind most people's gardens. 

Topbird

I have been picking 'autumn fruiting' raspberries (Polka) for the last 6 weeks! (I'm in Suffolk).

It has just been the odd handful of fruit so far  - just enough to mix with my breakfast cereal - but they will be going full throttle in the next week or so.

I think the very mild spring has brought them on early this year. Usually I start picking in August with peak production in September. This year they are about 4 weeks ahead.

I cut them back any time between beginning of November and end of Feb.

Last edited: 22 July 2017 16:26:56

I have only just started growing autumn raspberries as all mine previously have been summer ones. I have been told by someone on the allotments that after they have fruited if you cut half to the ground but only cut the other half, half down then you will get the half cut ones coming at this time whilst the new growth from the totally cut down ones will come in September.  Seems a good idea to do this and helps to thin out the bushes as so many canes look untidy. 

Advertisement

fidgetbones

I cut Polka to the ground in January, and they are just starting to fruit. (East Midlands)

Greenmum, I find Terri-Louise will fruit twice, June to July on last years canes, and September October on new year canes. I just cut off the part that has fruited, leaving most of the cane.

Mine are fruiting and masses of fruits yet to ripen, autumn bliss free by offer from T and M years ago.

i put down horse manure in spring and feed with growmore in June, after a good shower of rain.  Don't throw the growmore over the plants, the leaves will scorch.  Get down and chuck the stuff onto the earth.

works a treat.

i cut down Feb and thin out a bit at same time, the suckers will grow through the lawn if left unchecked

Dovefromabove
fidgetbones says:

I cut Polka to the ground in January, and they are just starting to fruit. (East Midlands)

I cut our Polka back in early Feb ... picked the first ripe fruits today (Mid Norfolk)  

Last edited: 23 July 2017 11:56:22

Lyn says:

My autumn ones have the tiny flower buds at the moment, it will be ages before they fruit. But then we are about three/four weeks behind most people's gardens. 

See original post

Same here, Lyn. The blueberries are  in full swing though so I don't need raspberries just now.