Start a new thread

1 to 17 of 17 replies

Is this a bad year for raspberries or is it just me? I have spoken to a neighbour who has said the same thing. This year is the first year as I didn't get any last year as they were new fruit trees which is normal for year one but expected a healthy crop this year as the trees look wonderful. They are growing but not full size before ripening?

scroggin

Overall it's been a strange year, some things doing well and others struggling but for me I've had a great crop of raspberries, we've been picking for 3 weeks now and they're just coming to an end, loads in the freezer 😊. 

pansyface

HERE IN DERBYSHIRE THEY ARE JUST BEGINNING TO RIPEN. IF I COULD STOP THE BIRDS GETTING TO THEM FIRST I'D BE ABLE TO TELL YOU IF THEY ARE FULL SIZE OR NOT. JUDGING BY THE BITS LEFT HANGING THEY LOOK PRETTY GOOD TO ME.

Berghill

We have such a heavy crop this year that the plants have snapped their supports with the weight of fruit. Makes picking a bit difficult.

Oh just us then . Maybe we are doing something wrong?

Advertisement

pansyface

DID YOU GIVE THEM LOTS OF MANURE AND MULCHING LAST YEAR?

fidgetbones

Mine are huge. I assume because of all the water.

What variety are they. ?  Polka have buds but no fruit yet, canes still growing, but they are Autumn fruiters.

Glen ample are fruiting now. Terry Louise , old canes , wonderful large fruits. I picked a bowl full yesterday.

Busy-Lizzie

We had a good year for raspberries, but were away for 2 weeks of it, luckily housesitter froze several bags. When we came back OH picked all the redcurrants so I could make jelly. I only make jelly every 3 years, the other years I leave them for the birds who prefer them to raspberries. Side effect was that the birds then stripped the raspberries!

scroggin

Funnily raspberries are the only fruit the birds don't attack on my plot, they have stripped the currant bushes before I netted them and take a share of the strawberries but seem to ignore the raspberries .

mine at the allotment are on small size.  Perhaps I should not have mulched them with woodchips.

green fingered finch

Ours have done better than last year. Strawberries have done really well too. Weird weather this spring/summer though to be fair

Raspberries and all other soft fruit have done well this year in Manchester. One thing that is different has been that everything seems to have ripened at once [i.e. desperately picking, black, red and white currants, gooseberries, raspberries, tayberries and strawberries all at the same time]. My summer raspberries and tayberries are usually over before the first blueberries come but not this year

Gloves n Wellies

Poor crop this year as in raspberry fruits were tiny .... as small as marbles ... canes were pruned in spring and are in good fertile soil. Am thinking of digging them all up.

Obelixx

Loads of raspberries here but we've had so much rain for so long they taste watery.

Topbird

Looks like we are set fair for an excellent crop of raspberries. Variety is Polka which is an autumn fruiter but I've alreadyhad a dozen fruit and the canes are covered in young fruit and flower buds. The fruit I've picked have been full size and tasty.

Blackcurrant has also cropped very well. Planning to make blackcurrant & raspberry gin

Advertisement

Obelixx

Our autumn rasps aren't ready yet but the redcurrants were very good and the rhubarb has really enjoyed the weather.   Blackcurrants looking good so far but the birds have had the blueberries while we were away last week.  Tayberries and loganberries OK so far.   Purple gooseberries doing well and the strawberries have been tasty - when we got there before the slugs!

Just disappointing summer rasps.

janetclaire

Hi all my raspberry canes died off this year! They were planted last year and had a few lovely raspberries. But this year they started off well then suddenly died off. The summer ones glen ample are sprouting up again and so hopefully so will the autumn ones joan j. I wonder if it was the unusually late frost we had? My plot is on a slope so might be a frost pocket.