Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Blight in the GH...

My brother's toms in his GH got blight this yr whilst he was on his jollies. He's used an automatic watering system, spraying the plants and getting the leaves wet daily for a couple of weeks.

Am I right in thinking, firstly toms don't like having wet leaves and secondly by raising the humidity in the GH, an environment has been created in which blight would thrive?

He's cleared all the plants and wants to know if the bed's will need replacing with new soil?

• Think you're right in every respect Zoomer - it was a disaster just waiting to happen image

A friend's greenhouse tomatoes all succumbed to blight this year, following an attack in the same greenhouse last year.  She had been told it wasn't necessary to renew the soil in the greenhouse - however, going by her experience I would replace the soil and give the greenhouse a thorough clean with a scrubbing brush and a solution of Jeyes fluid.

This year I grew blight resistant Crimson Crush - they did not succumb to the blight (brought in with infected plants from friend above) and produced well.  I'll grow them again. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• raisingirlraisingirl Posts: 7,091

I would clear the soil out and next year get a subsoil irrigation system set up for his toms. Sounds fandangle but my subsoil irrigation system (not automatic) consists of plastic water bottles with the ends cut off half buried next to each plant when I put them in. Or take the spray heads off his current automatic system and attach a 'soaker hose' (pipe with small holes in) which is buried just under the surface of the soil instead. 

Last edited: 04 December 2016 20:16:04

Gardening on the edge of Exmoor, in Devon

“It's still magic even if you know how it's done.”