Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Blueberry bushes

I got a pair of Blueberry bushes for my birthday end of last month (from Gluttenous Gardener) and they are currently dormant and in little Terrocotta Pots.

I'm currently debating whether to repot them both into large pots, or to plant them into the ground? I can see a clear advantage in using large pots, as I can bring them near the house in the colder months, as well as experiment with locations for them, but wanted to hear all your thoughts on the matter. image

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

Pots is my preferred choice-in ericaceous compost-unless you soil is very acidic- they do not need a lot of feeding either-or protection from the cold-completely hardyimage

• MarygoldMarygold Posts: 332

I've been debating growing blueberries in a raised ericaceous bed that needs replanting, but it's at the back of the garage and gets very little sun. Will blueberries thrive in the shade?

• FloBearFloBear Posts: 2,281

Mine have to be in pots due to my soil type and it's quite handy to be able to try them in different places to see what they prefer. They had a year on the patio - West facing and sun for half the day in summer - and a year down in the veg/fruit area where they get a bit more sun and dappled shade. If I had the right soil I would ultimately plant them in the garden so they could spread their roots out a bit, I'm not sure I'll be able to deal with ever larger pots!

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802
    Marygold wrote (see)

I've been debating growing blueberries in a raised ericaceous bed that needs replanting, but it's at the back of the garage and gets very little sun. Will blueberries thrive in the shade?

Like all fruit-do better in the sun-I dont think thrive is the correct term-they will probably produce something but later that usual.

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

I have 3 in pots of ericaceous compost. I have ahd them outside greenhouse on patio, currentlt htey are in the makings of a fruit garden but will move them if it doesn't suit them.

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

Just a word of warning about watering blueberries in pots - they need rain water.  Tap water makes their leaves go alarmingly yellow (or it did mine !).  I use water from the butts for them now.

• Agree with all the above.  Unless you have naturally acid soil which never dries out, largish pots of ericacous compost placed where they will get plenty of sun and watering only with rainwater is what will give the best results.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.