Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Brassicas - to fertilise or not?

Hello All

I have grown and had some wonderful broccoli with lovely heads of about 6".  So deliciously sweet and tender. Have had lots of compliments on it from other growers who have had no success. The variety is F1 Green Magic. 

Prior to  planting the little plants out at the beginning of April, as usual  I raked in some growmore about a fortnight before.  I picked the first successful heads as above last weekend and the plants now have lots of little side spears which I would like to encourage to grow larger.  My question is, do I need to add some more GMore now or at some point or some other fertiliser to get them to mature nicely?  Would this encourage them to grow ok? I don't want to be disappointed with them boulting and/or becoming loose and seedy headed.

What do people think?

Thanks

• barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,846

I water brassicas with a concoction made from nettles I don't know if this would solve your problem though.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Nitrogen is for leafy growth - potassium encourages flowers and fruit.  As you want the broccoli to produce what is a flowering shoot I'd give them a dose of rose or tomato feed, if you feel you need to give them something. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Madeline I think one application of fertiliser in spring should be enough. They sound good and healthy and shouldn't become loose and seedy if you keep them well watered. image

• Thanks everyone. I shall certainly keep the plants well watered and I might try giving the ones in the garden some tomato feed  to see if this helps. The allotment ones I shall leave as they are and see which batches produce the best results. Useful having some on different sites to experiment with.  Right now I am trying to get some Autumn seedlings ready for planting so I have even more for later when the spring batch becomes exhausted.  All trial and error but I do love my broccoli!

Thanks and Happy Growing All!