London (change)
Tue 9°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 9°C
12 messages
12/12/2012 at 19:22

It;s my first attempt at growing Brussels sprouts and they're just not growing.  Should i water & feed them through the winter?

12/12/2012 at 19:28

Don't feed or water-the rain does that for you and there should be enough goodness in the ground

When did you plant?-a lot of people are harvesting their's

12/12/2012 at 19:40

Watering?! Wringing out required here

12/12/2012 at 22:25

For the first time (in over 30 years) I have to admit to total failure of my Brussels.  Usually it is a bit of a tradition to pick sprouts for lunch on Christmas morning.  This year, the plants are a joke.  There has been virtually no growth since the plants were set in the ground, and I have given up hoping for any reasonable growth - ditto winter cabbages.

I guess it's down to the freak weather we have had, and, in particular, the low light levels. (My poinsettias in GH which would normally have turned red by now, given the absence of artificial light but with some bottom heat, are stubbornly green). 

Oh well - there's always next year .  .  . 

13/12/2012 at 13:14

Lst year grew sprouts for the first time and they were miniscule. my son said ne'd eaten peas bigger. This year I have had another go and I tink I will have enough decent sized ones for Christmas dinner.

I don't know what i have done differently

13/12/2012 at 22:31
I have healthy plants but no sprouts!
13/12/2012 at 23:27

I agree with SV - lack of enough sunshine in the latter half of this year.  Stuff that grows quickly during spring (when we had that unusually warm and sunny weather) did well, but anything that does its' growing in late summer/autumn is struggling on my plot.  I usually give a 'stick' of brussels to each of my relatives for Christmas dinner and one is enough to feed 4, but may 'forget' this year (as the few I do have will be on my plate..)  Chief gardener's privilege! 

14/12/2012 at 01:02

all the leaves fell off mine so i have stalks abot 30cm high and some leves on the top kind of strange will give it a go again next year has anyone got any tips

14/12/2012 at 10:54

Val8, it all depends on which kind you planted they come in early medium and late, the medium being ready for Christmas and the late from December to March.
The ground should have been well dug over with Manure, or Compost added then a sprinkling of granular fertiliser.
Plant them on in wet weather mid September (easy this year) if it is dry then wet them every day for a week until they take.
The bottom leaves will start to yellow so take them off but leave the top ones as a frost guard and pick the sprouts from the bottom up.
They do need some Autumn sun and usually a good frost when they have grown on the stem. As you pick them they will start to green up again from the bottom, we ate that as it was very good when greens were short, although back then food was seasonal.
Important, do not plant next years plants in this years ground move them on, a four year rotation is ideal.
Part cook the sprouts then put bacon lardons with some finely chopped onion in the frying pan and when nearly cooked drop the sprouts in and finish the cooking, that goes down well in our house.

Frank.

14/12/2012 at 10:56

Good slow cooked with chestnuts and little onions in a herby stock as well.

15/12/2012 at 08:37

My brussel sprouts are teeny-tiny at the minute - (Tinkling Star - your son is spot on saying he'd had bigger peas!). Anyone know any way of getting them bigger over the next few weeks?

15/12/2012 at 10:20
CottageGardenFairy wrote (see)

My brussel sprouts are teeny-tiny at the minute - (Tinkling Star - your son is spot on saying he'd had bigger peas!). Anyone know any way of getting them bigger over the next few weeks?

Pray,talk to them, threaten them with violence-not much you can do- except wait

email image
12 messages