Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Burying seedlings to the true leaves

SwedboySwedboy Posts: 394

I am slightly confused over this. Some people here thinks that you can do this with all veg and others only with solanceas (Tomatoes, chilies and peppers). Can some cast some light on this for me. If you could to this with beans, marrows, courgettes that could be great as the ones I am raising indoors are going a bit leggy

• Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

You can bury virtually all flower seedlings to the base of the seed leaves, so I'd expect the same to be true of vegetables. I can't guarantee it, though.

• SwedboySwedboy Posts: 394

Can you? You make it sound like this is a fairly general rule. If sommer ever comes, I'll give the burial of the stem a go.

• Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

I do it quite often on things that have gone leggy indoors, such as helichrysums and rhodochiton.

I'll definitely give it a try now.
  • jude5jude5 Posts: 65

I believe it should not be done with cucumbers as they will rot, but confess that I haven't tried.

• KoalagirlKoalagirl Posts: 225

I did it with my Cosmos Purity seedlings and they look fine.

I'll try with the ones I have more than one of and see what happens.
  • KoalagirlKoalagirl Posts: 225

I like experimenting.

• gigrugigru Posts: 1

As jude5 says, none of the Cucurbitaceae family ought to be planted deeper than their root-ball. Courgettes are a no-no. On the other hand, tomatoes, peppers and their related plants benefit from a deeper hole as they will form additional roots from the stem to aid nutrient assimilation