Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Butternut Squash

Hi Guys,

I just wondered whether anyone knew what to do with Butternut Squashes as my friend has a countless supply and keep on giving me loads. So any recipes etc. will me much appreciated!

Thanks,Lalat! image

• I love them simply sliced, seasoned and roasted - delicious! image

If you do the same and then blitz them in a food processer and add some stock, the end result is fantastic soup. image 

On well matured squashes the skin can become extremely hard on some varieties when roasted so I always remove that before cooking.

Oh yes.. also try them halved, seeds removed and stuffed with bacon, chopped tomato and cheese then roasted for 45 mins - superb!

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • My favourite thing to do with butternut squash is to remove the seeds, cut nto large chunks, toss in olive oil and roast in the oven with the Sunday joint.  There's no need to peel the skin off unless it's very tough, it'll soften as it cooks.

For other ideas there are some more uhnusual recipes here  http://ohsheglows.com/2012/09/19/5-favourite-butternut-squash-recipes/

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Jamie Olivers new book has a recipe for Rotolo. You bake the thing whole in the oven while you're doing something else, scrape out the flesh , and use pasta sheets and a tomato sauce.

http://scrapbook.channel4.com/bookmarkBar/525278fde4b0812f9bbf86bc

• Those helpful replies certainly cover BN Squash - but what tasty options are there out there for a close relative - the dread Vegetable Spaghetti???

• My best suggestion is ....  if you're going to grow a squash grow Crown Prince 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

Put them in curries or chillies, cut into chunks.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065

Vegetable spaghetti squash is rather bland but it can be made tasty.  Pierce the skin with a skewer.   Boil or bake whole till tender.  Cut in half, remove seeds and shred the flesh with a fork then season with s&p and serve with herby, garlicky or spicy butter on its own or with a meat or veg accompaniment.

Pumpkins and squashes can be used in a wide variety of sweet and savoury dishes.  Loads of recipes on the BBC Food and BBC Good Food sites and here - http://www.chow.com/search?q=pumpkin#!q=pumpkin&o=rank&start=0&c%5B%5D=

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Thanks to Obelixx for helpful suggestions - I'll pass them on to the Head Chef for her due consideration. [I'm currently pickling shallots and smallish homegrown onions].

Would welcome further suggestions....?

• Look at the BBC Good Food website which is full of ideas.  Just type Butternut Squash or whichever ingredient you want to use up into the search slot and hey presto! (Great for courgette recipes!!)  image

• The bacon, tomato and cheese idea sounds yum, Bob!