London (change)
Today 17°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 10°C
15 messages
16/04/2013 at 22:39

I have a new raised bed to grow squash and courgette in.

I have grown courgette last year but never squash.I take it it is the same principle but how much space do the plants need?

How many would I get in my bed with 2 plants of 2 different varieites of courgette. The butternut squash is 'Harrier'

16/04/2013 at 23:12

Hi Matty, all squash take up a lot of room and trail, usually to about 3 or 4m, but Harrier is supposed to be more bushy than the varieties I've personally grown.  If you are short on space, you can train them up a trellis or strong net etc, but best if that is set at an angle rather than vertical as the fruit become very heavy and can pull the plant away from the support.  In the UK we need a pretty good summer to get more than one or two squash per butternut plant, so fingers crossed!  The further south you are, the more likely you will get a good crop.

16/04/2013 at 23:33

Hi Bob, Bed is 8ft x 4ft would I manage 2 squash in that if I wrapped them around say half and half, But then i suppose I wouldn't manage cougette - what do you think?

17/04/2013 at 07:23

Hi I grew butternut squash for the first time last year - not the best year to try them 

However, in all that dank wetness we had two decent fruits from two plants which I thought was a triumph, all things considered.  I planted them in the edge of my veg plot and grew them up two of these sort of things http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/tomato-cage-plant-support-pid8358.html (but I didn't pay that price for them!) tying them in with strips of old tights.

Good luck!

17/04/2013 at 13:00

That cage looks good. Did you get yours off the internet?

17/04/2013 at 23:01

Matty, I'd try one at each end and put a courgette in the middle.  Bung as much compost as you can spare in the planting holes as that really helps.

Well done, Dove - a great result considering last year's weather!

17/04/2013 at 23:19

Thanks for your help both- that would make some sense rather than putting courgettes either end.

Plenty of compost at present as not started on my first time garden compost bin yet but is ready to use. 

18/04/2013 at 06:31
Matty2 wrote (see)

That cage looks good. Did you get yours off the internet?

No, I have a card at a local Wyevale, and I had some vouchers too, and they had a double discount day so I grabbed a few 

29/05/2013 at 13:58

Can you grow butternut squash in a tub and let it trail down onto the patio?

29/05/2013 at 16:46

Might try that spring jean,have very large pot which is broken around the edge,may put one of my plants in that.

29/05/2013 at 18:43

The larger the tub the better - they need huge amounts of water once they get going.  I'd say at least anything less than 40cm diameter would be too small.

29/05/2013 at 19:24

I've just planted 8 butternut squash plants on top of my huge compost heaps. I'm hoping to encourage them to trail away from each other and down the sides of the heaps (which are enclosed with wooden slats)

Is it possible to train them to go in a particular direction by pegging the shoots in place, or guiding them around sticks?

29/05/2013 at 20:01

Thans forsuggestion on size of pot Bob.been outside to measure the pot I thought of using,diameter 55cm,so I think I will try it.

29/05/2013 at 20:46

PatsyC, you can just lift the "trailers" and move them in any direction you want, they are quite tough. Also, once the fruit starts to grow, put a small board or a piece of polystyrene or some straw underneath them to keep them off the earth.Do not pick them until the plant has died down and leave about 2 inches of stem on them. If the skin is broken they won't keep.

Got 8 butternuts off two plants last year, despite the mixed weather, but they were placed where they got the most sun. In fact I've still got one waiting to be eaten.

29/05/2013 at 21:20

Thanks, SwissSue, I'll do as you suggest.

Sounds as though if they grow well I'll get squashed by an excess of squash! 

email image
15 messages