Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Buying advice

I would love some help and advice on when and where is best to buy fruit trees and fruit plants.

Potatoes as well. I am buying books for advice to grow but need experience on where to buy.

I am getting my girls involved (10&6) and they want to grow strawberries, apples, blueberries,sweetcorn, carrots. I love potatoes so will grow loads and tomatoes to make sun dried, hopefully.

Any help will be gratefully appreciated. I grow flowers normally so this is all new to me. And I want to make the experience fun for my girls, as well as rewarding.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

How much space have you got? Potatoes are good for clearing ground, but take up a lot of space for something that you can buy cheaply.   Have you tested the soil. You need acid soil for blueberries,  so if your soil is on the alkaline or neutral side it will not grow blueberries well.

Assuming you are in the UK, most garden centres will have seed potatoes (small tubers ) and so on in the spring.

Ken Muir and Chris Bowers are good sites for getting fruit trees and strawberry plants.

• Someone on this forum recommended a website called Pippin trees. 

Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• I will check out all those websites. 

The land is about 50 square feet.

I have some big pots that I could put the blueberries in.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • imageimage

Needs a lot of work!

Getting a turf cutter when all the grass and nettles have been trimmed 

• Our Allotment committee bought a quince as a present from Mail Order trees early this year & we were very pleased with both the service & the tree. Ashridge Trees seem to be good too.

If you are lucky you may find a garden centre local to you that sells potatoes loose when you can "fill a bag". That allows you to try a number of different varieties to see what you like & more important what suits your local conditions.  Otherwise the seed catalogues from the well know companies will have all you need. Some also sell collections or starter packs (Marshalls seeds).

When you make a strawberry bed make certain that you remove ALL perennial weeds or they will be overrun within a season or 2. 

AB Still learning