Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

column fruit trees

I have 4 column fruit trees, now  4 yrs old. Apple, pear, cherry, plum. All need summer pruning. There were spring flowers first time this year, as yet no sign of fruit. I didn't think it was difficult to prune these little trees. Following instructions - same for all of them. Keep branches to max 12" trim in summer. Can anyone tell me if I am doing right and that is all I have to do.

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923

all the new growth from this year take back to four leaves, this you can take back harder in winter,

if you haven't pruned in 4 years they might take two winters pruning's to get back into the columnar shape.

apples and pears (non-stoned fruits) are pruned the same as each other, cherries and plums (stoned fruit) are pruned the same as each other as well, but each different to each other - if that make sense.

the non-stoned you generally prune when dormant in winter, the stoned fruits you prune when in growth, usually after flowering to avoid diseases.

also stone fruits don't tend to like being growth as cordons, they prefer being grown as fans.

Last edited: 22 July 2016 12:51:11

• emelemel Posts: 10

Thank you. I am growing the fruit trees as columns. The 4 of them were bought 'as columns' from a reputable nursery down south. Instructions came with them on how to prune them. I have had fruit trees before, when I had more space, these are to remain columns as my garden is smaller now.

I am to prune all 4 in summer having only side branches (like little arms) I don't know the horticultural terms. The branches must be no more than 12". I am doing this. This spring all 4 had blossom, but no sign of fruit.

I am wondering if I am doing things correctly, and if there are any tips. The little trees are growing, the plum is covered in leaf, I would like fruit next year??? Previously all of my fruit tress gave up plenty of fruit from an early age. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

RHS website gives this information https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=87#section-4  

Last edited: 23 July 2016 09:01:30

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• emelemel Posts: 10

Thank you image