Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Cucumbers and pollination (La Diva???)

Hi all

I'm putting together the last of my seed order and trying to choose a cucumber variety to grow outdoors.  I'm new to all this, but from what little I've read some cucumbers need pollinating and some don't.  Is that correct?  And if so, what about the variety La Diva - where does that stand in terms of pollination?  

Many thanks 

Max

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

It's an F1 hybrid 'all female' type.  However, these types can still produce male flowers (no 'mini cucumber' behind the flower) which should be removed otherwise pollination can occur resulting in a bitter fruit.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • I am growing La Diva cucumbers for the first time this year, as recommended by a good gardening friend who wins prizes for his veg.  Thanks for the tip BobtheGardener, I will remove the male flowers as and when they appear. (Just germinated my first group of 8 seeds.)

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Posts: 3,845

I am doing La Diva too! Was very pleased with my first attempt last year, so going for three plants this time.  Last year I used veg grow bags, is there a better mix to pot them up in and what size of pots should they be in?

thanks

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • I don't know which mix you should use Lily - mine are still in Levingtons seed compost in 3 inch pots, I won't be moving them for another week or two yet. I don't use grow bags, but do use the biggest plastic plant pots I can find. They will be in a cold GH.

I will probably use a good potting compost mixed with vermiculite or perlite.