Start a new thread

1 to 5 of 5 replies

Last year I grew some elephant garlic and had mixed results, some of the garlic was perfect others just managed the round ball thingy they make before they split into cloves

I have some elephant garlic cloves left over, probably 15 or so cloves in total. They have sat in my utility room all winter, and we have been eating them slowly. The remaining ones I would like to separate and replant this year.

Question - If I separate the cloves and replant will they grow?And when in the spring should I plant?

Dan 

BobTheGardener

Ideally, you plant cloves in September.  Like standard garlic, they are more likely to split into cloves after experiencing some cold.  I would plant them now.

Ive just had exactly the same thing happen i planted 12 cloves in September and today i have dug them all up and everyone is a round. Could it be the soil that they are grown in mine is quite literally all clay

many thanks

Greg 

i think it means either not enough cold (unlikely if you planted in September) or inconsistent water - more likely if you have heavy clay soil. They'll possibly have been sitting in water at times over winter and bone dry at others. Might be better to try them in a big pot or a raised bed next year if you can't improve your soil generally

Clarington

I've just harvested my elephant garlic  and it has separated fine. 

However

I was told by a friend to put my garlic in pots over winter to help keep them drained AND to expose the bulb to more cold / frost. (We've had an extordinarily mild winter).