Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Espaliered pear tree - when to let it produce fruit?

We have a Concorde pear tree, planted as a maiden whip and it now has three tiers which is as high as we want it to go.  

Last year it had blossom for the first time but I picked off the small resulting fruits.

This year the first and second tiers have blossom.  Dare I let it produce one or two pears, or would it be wiser to remove the fruitlets again this year?

If the latter, when shall I let it produce it's first fruit?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Yes, a four year old tree - thanks Verdun - we'll see what is left after the June drop image

That's what we think too Verdun image

• Saw Monty's espaliered pear on GW - thought I might give it a go..... Are there any recommendations from where to  buy a maiden (is that the correct term?) tree?  My 'usual' online plant suppliers don't seem to have them.

Would it be best to buy as a bare root and plant asap?

• Many thanks, will take a look.

Update - our espaliered pear produced four pears this year - it's first year of fruiting.  One fruit on each of the four branches of the bottom two tiers.

Andy - I bought mine as a 'maiden' from here https://www.readsnursery.co.uk/ and have been very pleased with it.  I've bought all my fruit bushes/trees from them.  Just email them and tell them that you want to grow an espalier of whichever variety and they'll send you a suitable tree. 

• Thanks, looks like a few recommendations here so lots of choice ?.