London (change)
Today 12°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 6°C
17 messages
09/03/2013 at 10:21
I am starting to think about which Tomatoes to sow this year, has anybody got any preferences on which to recommend ?
09/03/2013 at 10:24

I'd always go for some cherry tomatoes - gardener's delight or sungold. Brandywine are great for a beefsteak, though can be tricky. I haven't found a 'regular' sized tomato that I'm ecstatic about, but have had good results from an Italian plum variety...San Daniele maybe?

09/03/2013 at 10:41

I'm having a go at some "black" ones this year, also Tumbling Tom in hanging basket. Trial and error for me!

09/03/2013 at 10:43

Sungold, and tumbling tom are the types I have lots of success with. The last couple of years we have had poor sunshine so larger toms have a hard time ripening. With this in mind I'm trying 'sungella' which is a cross of sungold, but the toms are the size of golfballs so I'm trying to find the happy medium of size but still ripen. I shall post my results throughout summer. I grew a Heritage variety last year 'black russian', they were nice, but more difficult to grow mainly because they got as large as your fist, and needed major support, they then took an eternity to ripen!

Because of the poor sunshine levels the last few years, I'm put off from growing beefstake varieties, whereas the sungold and sungella gave me literally 10 carrier bags full of fruit.

Be aware I grow in a large 10x12 greenhouse, lots of my friends with allotments who grow outside have been decimated by blight the last few years.

09/03/2013 at 10:50

Sungella sounds interesting.

09/03/2013 at 10:58

The coming summer is uncertain - hot? cold? wet? dry? whatever, I recommend that all tomatoes are grown in a greenhouse. Nothing is so upsetting as to see yur lovely thriving outdoor tomato plants decimated by blight. (well, almost nothing).

09/03/2013 at 19:06

I have grown loads of different varieties but the one I like the most is Alicante - the best sandwich tomato.

11/03/2013 at 09:06
Thanks for replies, will be growing Sungold, Rosada(grew those last year, very tasty) and Alicanti. Will post results later in year.
11/03/2013 at 13:17
Flora. Not everyone is lucky enough to have a greenhouse. I wish I had but alas...
Have had success outside with tomatoes, except last year of course. Have been growing them outside for years. Most years had good results. Just took last year with a pinch of salt and will be getting on again this year.
11/03/2013 at 14:43

We grow gardeners delight for salad, nice and sweet, just big enough to pop into your mouth whole, always had good results, so tend to return to them each year.. We will also be growing piccolo tiny toms this year, got some already through this year, very sweet.

We also grow something like. Alicante, Shirley or Money Maker for cooking and chutney making. All very good croppers. We do grow them all in the greenhouse, never been very lucky growing outside, but I suppose it depends on where you live and if you have a sheltered, sunny spot in your garden.

Chris.

11/03/2013 at 14:52
I'm being optimistic and growing Pink Brandyvine this year, we're due a heat wave (he says as he looks at the snow falling outside).
Lyn
11/03/2013 at 18:41
I am growing Roma, ferline and Shirley, but all under cover, with the wind here they would be gone by the next day.
12/03/2013 at 08:05

Leggi, good luck with the Pink Brandywines. Wonderful tomato. Just need heaps of growing time to maturity. Usually 80-90 days from planting out, and that's in optimum weather conditions.

12/03/2013 at 18:21
I didn't know that Italophile, I'll still try some as the seeds came free from T&M. Will have to decide on a more suitable variety for our island, I'm guessing that means most beefstake varieties aren't really suitable then? I did have some Pomodoro seeds but they've gone bad in the unopened packet over winter. I might try growing some alicante going by the recommendations in this thread.
12/03/2013 at 18:25

Most beefsteaks are mid-late season varieties, Leggi. They need pretty decent growing seasons.

12/03/2013 at 18:40
That's unfortunate as I've been asked specifically not to grow smaller varieties this year by the other half, will still have a go with some in the hope we get a decent year, just won't get my hopes too high for them. Thanks for your advice as always.
15/03/2013 at 06:45

Last year best ones for me were Black  Cherry and Sungold - both small so fruit earlier, both in garden and greenhouse. I grow some bigger ones too in GH though it's not in a very sunny spot - but didnt get the blight.  Those outside were blighted eventually but  small ones had fruited well before it got to them!  Another one i grow in garden is Red Alert, this is a bush tom and quite small, that also did well even last year.  This year I'm also trying Sungella -  nice and small!

email image
17 messages