Start a new thread

1 to 4 of 4 replies

See attached photo, but I assume I left it too late to bring the lemon tree inside?

I also assume its best to just remove any fruit like this?

Last question, do lemon trees simply grow and fruit all year round? Despite it being winter, I am still getting flowers and new fruit growth...

Pete8

Well, I wouldn't want a slice of that in my G&T!
Definitely remove damaged fruits.

I grew grapefruit many years ago and that survived an unheated greenhouse for many years, but I have no further experience.
Some info here should guide you in the right direction

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/grow-your-own/fruit/citrus

Citrus flower and fruit all year round in a suitable environment - the UK climate isn't the best for harvesting mature fruits in any numbers unfortunately.

If you can emulate their natural conditions, you may be ok but it obviously takes a bit of doing. 

Citrus will cope with a bit of frost - it will nip off the top growth but if the tree is a decent size, it will survive.

Despite the GC's selling vast numbers , they are not really suitable for the UK amateur and definitely not as House Plants.

Borderline

It all depends on your size and type of citrus fruit as some are bred to be more suitable for colder weather nowadays. Also, the older the plant, the more likely it will survive colder temperatures. If you are in a micro climate, sometimes, you can keep the plant against a south or south-west wall, and they can cope, but if it is your first year with this plant, then put into a green house or even indoors somewhere cool away from heating. 

It's totally normal to see flowers and then fruits on the same bush/tree. The fruits can take up to a year to mature and some longer. Ideally, to get more fruits, you need the heat and the night temperatures to be a minimum of around 15-16 degrees celsius for half a year. This is quite hard to achieve in the UK, so the reason they are hit and miss.