Start a new thread

1 to 11 of 11 replies

Hi everyone I have a shaded spot at the side of my house that is shaded for the most part of the day that I've never planted In and all I've ever done is pull weeds out of it and it seems a shame to let it go to waste. I was wondering what I could grow in there if anything that I could put on the table. Id say the area is around 10ftx40ft and only gets sun in the evening when the sun id dropping to set maybe an hour or so. Is there anything that I could expect a reasonable crop from. I know that some bamboo likes shade but haven't a clue what is or is not edible or even what would be suitable. Any advice on my problem anyone?  

Dovefromabove

Raspberries and gooseberries are happy in a bit of shade, as is rhubarb.  

As for veg, I've grown Swiss chard and French beans in very shady gardens.

Thanx I'm not fond of chard but I may try a few french beans and see how they do. ILL try some gooseberry and raspberry against the fence to deter cats  as I'm growing them against the fence in my main garden and they don't seem to like to enter my garden where I grow them and then it will serve two purposes and I can take free cuttings. Any more ideas anyone? 

Laura Corin

Chives and mint are meant to be okay in some shade.  I'd grow the mint in a pot though to stop it taking over.

You could try some rhubarb. Beetroot might do ok if the soil is not too heavy. Cut and come again lettuce probably will do ok aswell

Advertisement

jatnikapyar

Wild Garlic thrives in shade

Laura Corin
jatnikapyar wrote (see)

Wild Garlic thrives in shade

Yes - definitely.  We have wild garlic happily growing in the shade of a group of sycamores.

Thanx everyone I love the wild garlic idea and ill put some rhubarb in too and see how that does. 

In addition to the above suggestions, Parsley likes semi shade as does Salad Burnet

We have the same in our north facing garden, right next to the privet hedge it's very shady - the other side gets good sunshine as the house does not shade that area. I am thinking about knocking that back fence out and down next year. The garden owner previously bless him had some good ideas and he has created a secret garden feel, just a little too shady for vegetables unfortunately. 

It's our first year in, I do worry about this left hand side though. 

I realise now the rhubarb may have been put on the wrong side, it was planted a month or so ago. 

@TomBirmingham Hi I would pull the hedge out on the side and put a fence in that lets the light in but then do you value your privacy too much to do that? Personally Id have a fence that lets the light in if I liked my neighbors.  But then It depends  if you like your neighbors enough. I know I like my hedge on one bit as I like my privacy but I don't really care for my neighbors but if I didn't mind it would be strait out. my neighbors used to watch my every move and stare at me contently for hours on end and that can get a bit annoying LOL MY house is surrounded by other property's and I don't have hedge rows around most of it but then I don't mind some of my neighbors as there highlight of every day isn't watching me