Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Fruit and veg for the greenhouse

Hi folks,

I've acquired the use of a 6 x 6 greenhouse, I'm growing toms, peas and strawberrys in there at the moment but has anyone got any other ideas?

first time using a greenhouse.

• BrummieBenBrummieBen Posts: 460

I'd just grow the toms in there the rest outside. It all really depends on the weather. Last year I was glad I brought two courgettes into big pots to grow in the greenhouse, the ones outside didn't produce much because the rain kept destroying the flowers before the fruit set, but inside gh, no problems! I have a peach trained as a fan inside mine, I also clear all the staging out once my germination stage is near enough finished, I leave the propagation table for cuttings and successive sowings of lettuce pak choi etc. I find it so much easier to start things like cabbage lettuce inside greenhouse, then transplant out when a decent size.

• marshmellomarshmello Posts: 683

I grow tomatoes, basil, peppers, chillies and cucumber in the greenhouse.

• Thanks both

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

Aubergines also do well in a GH.

You can force strawberries in the GH for earlier pickings but once fruited they need to go outside.

• marshmellomarshmello Posts: 683

I've seen melon and grapes grown in a greenhouse. Although, a grape vine may get too big for a 6x6.

• Thanks all.

sorry for the question it was just my first time really of using my neighbours greenhouse 

• This is my first year with my greenhouse, i'm growing tomatos, cucumbers, peppers, chillies, and melons. As these (except for the cucamelons) that were recommended by my grandad. I've got some more exotics to try for fun too, such as tomatotillos, cucamelons, and inca berries (which i think are cumquats). 

For this year it's late to start sowing so pop down the garden centre and see what they have, they will most likely have toms, peppers, but may have other stuff too to try.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

Peas are pretty hardy, don't think they'll like the heat in a GH. In the summer grow what everyone has said in it and in spring use it for seed sowing and keeping young plants before hardening off.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • I stick to toms, cucumbers (seedlings obviously of all variteies) and the courgettes - I have done this for a few years now and always get a better yield than outside. Strawberrries and peas always do well outside (mind the slugs with the peas though), although I have cultivated all sorts in the GH, even garlic in pots / troughs, so don't rule anything out! Whenever I put peppers or chillies out in the GH they either get diseased or get severe aphid attack, so I tend to keep them inside / in the conservatory instead. At the moment I have marrows and cabbages happily thriving in there - enjoy what you plant when it happens - sometimes it can prolong or extend a planting season!