Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Fruit or vegetable...

Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

Is a chilli a fruit or vegetable....l'm thinking of entering a local show and one section is any other veg not mentioned in their list.

Chillies aren't on their list and I"ve  some plants with chillies on. Hungarian black are nearly 2inch long.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

They are definitely a fruit but the definition of a vegetable is so loose that they would also fall under that description.  As far as a show goes, they would be classified as a vegetable.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • IamweedyIamweedy Posts: 1,364

This seems to depend on whether or not you are talking about the horticultural definition or how they are used.

IMO tomatoes cucumbers, peppers,chillis  etc are fruits as they are basically seed pods we eat . 

Cabbage, green salad crops,  leeks, onions etc are not. There is very little difference between tomatoes and strawberries but flavour and texture.

But no doubt local garden vegetable  shows think differently. Perhaps I am just being too pedantic. 

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'