Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Fruit Trees from seed (of the more exotic form)

Hi there,

I came across a video the other day of a step by step guide to growing your own avocado tree. It looks very simple and quite fun so I am now waiting for my wife to eat the avocado we have bought so that I can have the seed image

It made me think though of all the different possibilities out there. Has anyone ever had success with growing any fruit trees from seed along the lines of oranges/lemons/peaches/kiwis etc..that have been bought from the supermarket? I live in the south east of the UK so sun and heat (or lack of it) is potentially the biggest problem. Is it possible to grow and have fruit set on one of these trees when the climate isn't particularly hot?

Thanks

Chris

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

You can grow all sorts of citrus as well as avocados from supermarket saved seed, but you're unlikely to get fruit on them anywhere in the UK.  

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,883

Chris, you do know that Avocados come from huge trees. Its fun to get it to grow but don't expect too much. image I have grown Calamondin (titchy oranges) trees from seeds off my parent tree. In fact one seed had actually germinated inside one of the Calamondins. I have made marmalade from their fruits. These live inside my house though as they need the warmth.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I had a forest of avocado one year after I spread the contents of the compost heap. 6inches tall in the first year from seed. Never seen again after winter. Easy to germinate, good fun, not a food crop

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Torg22Torg22 Posts: 302

I'm not massively worried about the avocados as I don't even like them, I just like the idea of growing a small tree out of it! (something to do isn't it)

Would love to grow a peach tree or something but perhaps I am a bit naïve to think I could get fruit from it in years to come hehe.

Perhaps I will look at 'Calamondin' then, I am not adverse to keeping in inside if need be.  

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,883

They are lovely little trees - mine is only about 30cm tall and the flowers that come before the fruit have a powerful, delicious scent.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • SparklesJDSparklesJD Posts: 344

Calamondin is on my wish list Ladybird, as I used to have one years ago. I tried to get one last year, but I couldn't find any that weren't cripplingly expensive. I might've been looking at the wrong time of year though.

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,546

As a child I grew 2  trees from  peach stones and the one that was given to my aunt grew and thrived and gave her peaches for a number of years. This was in South London.

We lost ours after a house move.image

Wowzers! A peach tree in the UK that grew. I think I may have to give it a shot then. I suppose the proof will be in the pudding, just a shame I will have to wait years for the pudding! image

That's quick, passion fruits only after 18months! That could be an experiment to try.

• Citrus grow easily as do dates. Citrus pips can form more than one seedling and can be rather thorny. Some are even hardy (just about) in england. Dates make good frost tender palms. Dragonfruit germinates to give an awkward cactus. My parents have 2 large fig trees that germinated from seeds from a dried fig at christmas(very hardy but no figs). Kiwi seeds will also germinate.

I haven't had any luck with avacdo or mangoes.

Thanks. Yeh I was thinking mangoes too as I like them to eat. That said if I was to try germinating a seed I would have no expectations of it producing fruit.