Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

general question about citrus

why is it that people go on and on about how to care for citris plants, feed them wth this feed them with that, when i have been to Turkey and seen orange trees covered in fruit on busy polluted high streets with bins and crap all around the bottom, graffiti on the bark 

why do we get told we have to do this and that and the other to them otherwise they will flop and die? do they relly need all that/?

• Birdy13Birdy13 Posts: 595

In UK I imagine the short answer is yes. 

All plants flourish where the conditions are optimum for that particular plant. Evidently, orange trees are happy in the Turkish conditions that you experienced.

We haven't the same climate as Turkey so I would think growing citrus in UK requires more protection from the colder temperatures.

And whereas organic rubbish in the wrong places may be seen as pollution for people, it may be a source of nourishment for plants. 

But you may be right and they don't need any of the special treatments other people advise. Try it and see.

(You could even try putting Turkish style 'pollutants' around your citrus trees to see if they like it, but I doubt if the graffiti will make much difference.image)