London (change)
Today 12°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 6°C
8 messages
HOE
22/10/2012 at 22:37

how do I get  patio cherry and plum trees to fruit. got one of each and had them for three years but no fruit. have been told to plant a pear tree near to help pollination. any suggestions?

HOE
23/10/2012 at 01:09

Not sure why a pear tree would help.  Is someone pulling your leg?

23/10/2012 at 06:45

Maybe someone's got a pear tree for sale?

Seriously, there's absolutely no way a pear tree will affect the pollination of any tree other than another pear.

Did your trees have plenty of blossom this year?  Did you see any bees around them? 

19/01/2013 at 05:53

I have plenty of fruit trees that produce good fruits every year. I bought it from Leggcreek farm where they offer high quality fruits that have low chilling requirements with lowest price.

19/01/2013 at 06:41

Hello Hoe, please look HERE , maybe this help you. You can see, trees need 3-7 years ( dwarf fruit trees less). Greetings, ThaiGer.

19/01/2013 at 17:14
georgek5 wrote (see)

I have plenty of fruit trees that produce good fruits every year. I bought it from Leggcreek farm where they offer high quality fruits that have low chilling requirements with lowest price.

You have a UK address and you imported trees grown and grafted in Texas?

You might be familiar with this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8huXkSaL7o 

19/01/2013 at 19:00
Are your trees self fertile? What varieties are your cherry and plum? Do you over feed ....perhaps too much nitrogen? Are your trees in cold exposed site? Are you pruning your trees? A pear tree will never pollinate cherry or plum. With trees growing in the garden I have bent branches down, gently, and this can encourage fruiting but with patio trees this is not an option. Perhaps moving to a warmer location and feeding only with a potash fertiliser this year will improve things.
19/01/2013 at 19:47

Basically unless your trees are self-fertile you won't get fruit. If that is true you will have to obtain trees that will pollinate them another cherry variety, another plum pollinator. And as Verdun says warmer more sheltered location. wild flowers to encourage polinators(insects)

email image
8 messages