London (change)
Today 24°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 16°C
4 messages
16/09/2012 at 21:13

I have been growing strawbs for a couple of years in a raised bed.  Today I cleared the bed and moved 9 of the plants to a newly manured different raised bed.  In the old one, I want to prepare it for next year's tomatoes by planting a green manure that will break up the soil and recharge it over the winter.

Does anyone know what I should plant?

Thanks.

17/09/2012 at 06:58

To be honest, I wouldn't plant a green manure in a bed destined for tomatoes. Nitrogen is really the least of a tomato plant's requirements. An abundance of it will encourage foliage growth at the expense of flowers and fruit. I'd just dig in manure - if you have access to any - and lots of compost.

19/09/2012 at 10:51

My red plum (Victoria, may be) has plenty of fruit but each plum is covered in a brown scab.  This seems only skin deep.  What is causing it? Is the fruit edible without peeling? Should I take some action to prevent it reoccurring?

19/09/2012 at 11:16
Glenys Tuersley wrote (see)

My red plum (Victoria, may be) has plenty of fruit but each plum is covered in a brown scab.  This seems only skin deep.  What is causing it? Is the fruit edible without peeling? Should I take some action to prevent it reoccurring?

Glenys-you would do better to start a new discussion to get your question answered as this will get lost on this one.

email image
4 messages