London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
13 messages
03/04/2013 at 23:08

Hi all,

I've grown my parsley and basil from seeds (the whole pack of seeds) and they are growing well from the looks of it!

Do you think it looks overgrown? I want to avoid my rocket situation where it ended up wilting then dying.

I wish the instructions on these grow your own packs would tell you to sow a bit of the pack and not the whole pack and expect the whole plant to survive in the tiny pot they provide you.

Thanks in advance!

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/20933.jpg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

03/04/2013 at 23:11

A whole packet, have they all germinated?

03/04/2013 at 23:14

Hi sorry, for some reason my previous post cut off and I just had to rewrite! I'm getting a bit worried about the foresty mess of it and the stalks are of different girth too, some grass thin and some slightly thicker.

My rockets and dill I had previously germinated then wilted and died.

03/04/2013 at 23:16

I think you could prick out now and keep the sturdier looking ones if there are too many

03/04/2013 at 23:16

They do look very healthy

03/04/2013 at 23:25

Hi Mizzli, yes, definitely too many sown there!  You have about 30 basil seedlings - 4 or 5 would be enough for that size of pot.  The good news is that they have their first pair of true leaves, so you can carefully tip them out and separate, planting a few back into fresh compost.  The rest could go into other pots if you can find the room.

For pots of the size you get in hose kits, sow about 10 seeds in each, evenly spaced apart and if they all germinate, you need to be harsh and pluck out the smallest, leaving up to 5 of the strongest.

03/04/2013 at 23:36

The  potted basil you buy in supermarkets is actually lots of plants in 1 pot. They don't bother to separate as they want quick results You could leave them and enjoy them as needed and start some more seeds? Successional sowing is usually necessary in any case, and you have got off to a flying start

The parsley looks great and I would just cut of as much as you need and it should keep growing

I wish my herb seeds I planted 3 /4 weeks ago looked as good. Very slow to get started. I sowed a few seeds in each module, but lots haven't showed yet. I was hoping to donate some to village flower show to sell. Not so sure at moment, fingers crossed.

03/04/2013 at 23:51

Hi all,

Wow, thanks very much for your replies. It has been very helpful.  We live in a small flat so I only have room for one of each herb.

Do I just need to pluck out the thinner stalks? Not sure if I can pull it out with the root without disruptng the other stalks.

The parsley and basil both took 2-3 weeks to germinate.  I thought they were dead at first! I keep them on a window sill and when the sun sets I switch on a growlight I have pinned on the wall.  It's a SAD light I bought for myself but it doesn't work as well for me, lol!

The packs on the grow your own packs never tell you sow sparingly and just tell you to tip the whole pack in. It's so misleading and I've never grown my own plant/herb successfully to full term before. Now I know why.

Thanks again, really appreciate all your comments!

Lyn
04/04/2013 at 18:32
I grow these in 5 inch pots, but i put a big pinch sprinkled on the pot and then just leave them, some dont like to be transplanted.
04/04/2013 at 18:37

I think your basil may struggle to compete for nutrition if you leave that many in 1 pot. can you thin them out (make up a couple of pots), if you don't need them they can be a nice gift. 

04/04/2013 at 21:47

Why not divide up the basil pot into 5 or 6 clumps and repot the clump thus disturbing the plants as little as possible. This will increase the food available to them and chances of a good crop. In a couple of weeks sow some more for succession as these will probably not last you all summer.

06/04/2013 at 22:48

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice, very much appreciated.  I will get some pots in the following weekend (hopefully will get warmer) and split the basil but it will have to go outside as we are out of room in the flat.  We are considering buying a mini green house stand like the one from Amazon, hopefully this way it will be protected from icy wind, insect infestation and frost - plus we can grow a few more.

Does anyone think it is worth doing?

At the moment the plants outside are getting covered in slugs even though we live on a 2nd floor flat! No idea how they get up there!

Lyn
07/04/2013 at 08:24
Basil wont like being outside, well, it doesnt where i live, its better suited as a window sill plant.
You could put a few slug pellets around, discretely hidden under something so the birds wont get them, not that i believe they eat them anyway.
email image
13 messages