Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Help! Droopy fig

I bought a small brown turkey fig from the garden centre in the summer and I read that you have to bring it indoors in October so I did.  It sits on a table in the kitchen, not too close to the french windows to avoid drafts, but not in total darkness either.  Anyway, some of the leaves recently went all floppy.   As the soil was dry I gave it a water.  These leaves didn't perk up so I gave it another water.  The leaves still haven't perked up.  What can I do?  There are 6 leaves on it and 4 of them have gone droopy.  Please help.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

Take it out of the pot-check for vine-weevil grubs and no root ball-I fear the worseimage

Hopefully not

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

too warm as well I should think. 

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Get it outside, where it belongs.  Yes, I would also check whether it has a decent root-ball.  If not, take it back.

• It depends where you are but I would say put it outside, they dont realy like being indoors and they dont like central heating. They can overwinter outside no problem (how big is it?).

• ThaiGerThaiGer Posts: 165

Also prune your tree after frost and cut the crown back and any dead or demaged branches too, so it will stronger grown.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

ThaiGer, cut it back?  There are only 6 leaves on it now!

• ThaiGerThaiGer Posts: 165

Hello Welshonion, watering and set it in a sunny, wind-quite area outdoor for some houres every day, indoor on a sunny place-not so much water (test the pod-ground, must be dry, it don't like cold feeds). Maybe give some drops of liquid fertilizer in the water. Try to care it for 3-4 weeks. Later, if strong enough, cut back to the 5th leaf. But please read the infos I found in a UK-website (look under "pruning"). Best luck, ThaiGer. 

• cloud8cloud8 Posts: 103

There is no vine weevil - thank goodness!  The roots look very good.  It is only about 18" tall which is why I looked up whether to bring it in as it's so young.  Is it maybe too young to be pruned?  Will it die of shock if I put it out now as it's been indoors for so long?  We are in York.  If I move it to the windowsill to get it a bit cooler, do you think I could ease it outside gently?  Thanks everyone.  All but one of the leaves fell of when I took it out of the pot to check for weevils, but all the tips of the branches have green healthy looking shoots.

• Its not the worst thing that all the leaves fell off, it is winter after all..

Its not a bad idea to gently aclimatise it back to the outdoors. If its not too cold out then try putting it outside during the day in a sheltered sunny spot and bring it back indoors at night. You should be able to leave it outside no problem in about 10 days. (is it in a pot you bought it in?) can you supply a photo?

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

My fig lives outside and it loses it's leaves in winter. They are not evergreen. Yours may have got a bit confused being kept in a heated house in winter.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.