London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
6 messages
10/07/2013 at 14:10

After a bout of depression due to sudden loss of leg use I suddenly - and for no apparent reason as I know when to plant them - decided to plant some tomatoe seeds, which have now grown to 3" tall and are doing well.  What I need to know is do they stand a chance of surviving and producing fruit?  I have also done the same with peas which are growing like mad and flowering.  

10/07/2013 at 14:13

The toms may make it if you can grow them in a conservatory or on a sunny windowsill indoors, but probably won't have time to ripen outdoors or in a cold greenhouse.  The peas should be fine though.

10/07/2013 at 14:26

Nothing ventured Greywolf! Don't know whether you'll get any success with the toms but if you have them under cover and you get a few flowers etc -  then who knows! Nothing to lose. About 6/8 weeks ago I bought 3 sad little plants a few inches tall from B&Q for 20p . The growhouse got knocked over and one was decimated. I brought it into the kitchen and now it's the same height as the other 2 - about 18" and plenty of buds so it's  caught up again. The others have opened flowers - that's the only difference.

Let us know how they get on and best of luck.

10/07/2013 at 14:26

Thanks Bob,

I will try to make space on the sunniest windowsill between the chillies and the peppers, when the weather turns cooler (or nearest mid to end September, or October)

10/07/2013 at 14:34

Very true Fairygirl.  I'll most definately keep you informed of their progress.  I'll try all I can to help them grow, flower and fruit. At the moment they are outside but I will be keeping a close eye on them.

10/07/2013 at 14:38

Amazing what a little heat will do for them! 

email image
6 messages