Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

How best to add nutrients to the allotment

Hello all,

I have a lovely 10 pole allotment that I haven't managed to fertilise/manure much since taking on a few years ago. I have tried a little green manure and I have added growmore to most parts in year 1 and BFB last year, but I haven't dug in any manure.

My thinking is that it could do with a bit of extra nutrients, but my question is how should I go about this?

I have access to reasonably well-rotted manure, a rotovator, and a garden centre. Advice much appreciated!

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

Carrots will cope if the manure is sufficiently aged. It's knowing how aged it is that's the problem.

• chris 172chris 172 Posts: 403

hi all

got a four tonne load delivered to the allotment two weeks ago.

picture it, Saturday morning cold raining turning to sleet 10.00am drop off the purest cow manure 18 month old steaming you could feel the heat from it. We split it three ways and we had four on the barrows it was not a good day for the delivery however all i need to do now is to start distributing on my allotment to improve my beds.

I also have five compost bins and an area also for composting as themore you make and return to the garden will improve with significant rewards

happy gardening

• We are having some manure delivered, hopefully, tomorrow.  That should make us REALLY popular with the neighbours!

hi all

Verdun about four feet to the right of the photograph is the perimiter fence of the alloment where a right of way is used by walkers, bikers and any one who is travelling on the walk way which is a net work of foot/cycle paths.

have already had some comments from some of the people passing as i have made some really nice people out walkng and lokingthrough the fence during th different phases of  the garden in progress.

i have always gave some of my produce to people i have met and who have been very complimentory about my allotment progress so with a bit feed as they say will improve my return in produce volume

happy gardening to all

Hi all

thank the Lord finished moving the final 25 or so barrow loads today so just got to get it put onto garden.

ps smells truly amazing imageimageimage rock on and happy gardening too all