Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

How many apples to leave

Another question which may seem silly to most but this is the first year I have apples on my tree. I have read that you should remove some so that the ones left grow bigger. I alsoread something about waiting 'till you had apple drop and then see what is left then remove them.

How many should I remove? Pic shows what they are like now. Also when should I remove them?

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag97/Bev_Pounsett-Krynauw/1723-06-13_zpsafc534f0.jpg

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

That looks like a small tree. I'd reduce each cluster to one. I had a new cox last year that lost the top because the weight of fruit was too much. This year I've thinned the small trees ruthlessly. I need to do the plums next because it looks like a branch breaking year. The bumbles finally got out there and did the job.

• lindsay2610lindsay2610 Posts: 100

The drop you're referring to is known as the 'June drop' as that's when it usually occurs. Although my James Grieve tree did it later last year.  I read to thin them to two per group, so that's what I've done this year.  I didn't thin at all last year and it coped fine but the apples were smaller as you'd expect.

• Green MagpieGreen Magpie Posts: 806

The tree will probably drop some on its own, but you can help it to concentrate its energies on fewer apples by taking out the smaller ones from each cluster.

• Thank you everyone for your help image

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

What variety are they Bev?

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • It's a Red Valentine. Supposed to have apples where the flesh is red. I am looking forward to seeing how it goes. It is just like a stick with apples growing just inches away from trunk- if that makes sense

• Bev are you growing it as a cordon ?

• Gaffelbiter I'm just growing it as it comes.

• Oh, I see.The description of 'a stick with apples' sounds like a cordon. You grow the tree as a single stem. A great way to grow apples if space is tight.