Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Leeks

Is it ok to sow leeks now or am I too late?  I'm thinking of sowing and bringing on in a polytunnel......whats your advice?  I do already have some in the ground but wanted to have more as its one of our favourite veg.

• LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

The books suggest it is too late, but if you have seeds you don't lose much sowing in modules. A problem will be ensuring the soil remains moist for germination as summer comes on.

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267
    In previous years, I've sown them as late as now and plan to sow a second batch tomorrow in modules. It possibly depends where you live, I'm in the NW and picked the last of last years harvest a couple of weeks ago, they were a late sowing and were thinner than leeks sown earlier but went through the winter...:)

If sown in modules, when big enough to plant out just split clusters and plant in a nursery bed. When thick as pencils, dig them up again and seperate them before trimming the roots and planted them deeper.