Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

More Peas?

biofreakbiofreak Posts: 1,089

Just finished my first peas sown in March Petit Provencal. Absolutely stunning crop. I have Kelvedon Wonder podding up now and Mangetouts are just climbing frames. Can I get another crop in this Season and which one would you recommend for a decent yield. Packets say sow throughout May/June am I too late to pop in another?

• last year I bought a box of dried peas from the local s/m sowed 200gs of them and they returned inexcess 8kg a lot better than the type I have sown this year, kevaldon I might get  a pot full . so I will be growing dried peas again just have to visit Tesco

• biofreakbiofreak Posts: 1,089

Never crossed my mind that they would even sprout!! Thought they would have been sterelized. I assume that you don't know what type they were?

• No expertNo expert Posts: 415

When I was a teenager I never bought pea seed, dried marrowfat peas always grew well.

• Green MagpieGreen Magpie Posts: 806

They are also good for growing pea sprouts for salads etc. As they're so cheap, you can plant them really thickly and they don't take long. I used the packets of marrowfat peas  - Bachelors, I think. 

• BoaterBoater Posts: 241

It might depend on variety, but after I pick all my Hurst Green shaft (and I think Kelvedon Wonder too, although I don't like them as much) the plants flower again so I get a second crop a few weeks later.... If the packet says something like 'keep picking to prolong harvesting' you might not need to sow anything, just see if the old plants flower again. As a backup maybe you could start some more in guttering or something and if the existing plants don't do anymore, swap them out...??? (just an idea - not tried it myself, although peas started in a seed tray are now growing well in final position)

• biofreakbiofreak Posts: 1,089

We only ever eat our peas in salads as seems a waste to cook just a few mouthfuls. Normally we eat pods and all in September because so young and not likely to get much bigger. One of the reasons I grow Mangetouts now, but they really don't like late sowing. Wondered if I could try Early Variety like Onward to sneak a decent crop in.

• barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,846

I too was thinking of planting some peas as a late crop should beat the dreaded moth my gardening book says to sow early varieties this time of year that should be ready by september.