Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Multi purpose vs seed compost for veg seeds

Hello I bought seed compost this year and found it better to use. Trouble is through penny punching and a multi buy offer I've now bought multi purpose compost. Went to use it the other day...top layer has white mould/mildew on it. So I scraped it off, filled up my seed trays, but it still stinks of mould! Is it OK to use? I want to sow some brassicas but don't want to waste my time if they won't survive. Thanks! image

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    It should be alright sometimes compost is like that,don't make it too wet, I us levingtons multi because it's cheaper get 3 for 2.I take all the big bits out.I find that I get a few weeds in it especially stinging nettle.
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Lucky there Logan, I use Levingtons never an offer on it always 8.00 per bag.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,995

You can fill the bottom of the pot with MP compost, and the top little bit with seed compost, and sow into that.  I like the finer texture of seed compost,.. but you're right, it's darn expensive!  I've layered before when running low on seed compost, it worked fine.   

Utah, USA.
  • LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

I've always used ordinary compost, it works fine with good seeds. I have Pak Choi, a cabbage, growing well in New Horizon.

Mould is harmless, compost can be damp and mould grows, so maybe the mould is an indicator that it is too damp? I've seen that before when the shop stored it in wet conditions. It'll dry out when used. Basically the mould is breaking down any organic matter, which is what happens in composting anyway.

Thanks Lyn one of the GC do it I live in Redditch, I always need a lot,most of veg I grow in containers & put the old on garden
  • Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

I usually sow in sieved MPC, this year I bought a bag of Bowers seed compost, it was without lumps but very gritty. The seedlings seemed to have the compost stuck to the initial leaves and struggled to open, I had to have tweezers on some of them.

I'm back to MPC next year.  

• janetclairejanetclaire Posts: 49

Thanks for replies. I think I'll give it a go then. Just make sure I don't soak them. It's very difficult to judge how much water...too much and there's mould and too little and it dries out and therefore no germination of seeds!

janetclaireI cover mine with cling film until they start to come up but keep an eye on them every day or even twice a day I find the first one's a bit leggy but the rest will be alright. Only drizzle the water on the compost so it's slightly damp if the cp is too wet you might not need to water until later
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • nodlisabnodlisab Posts: 414

I consider seed compost a waste of money, never had a problem using MPC.