Start a new thread

1,501 to 1,518 of 1,518 replies

Zoomer what size will the shed be ? by the slabs and will it block all the light in the day, my black currant at mo in pot was in prt shade i garden and fruit ripened

Great that you got some slabs

It"s a double doored shed, at least 6 by 6. 

I've tried e-mailing the committee  but the mail keeps bouncing back. The plants will be in total shade, they already compete with a huge birch tree on the other side. 

I'm sure he hasn't realised it will block the light.

Scroggins , green maure , have used clover in past , it does stop weeds BUT I found really difficult when digging in , it just kept growing , so would NOT recommend that one 

I am trying a different one and will let you known 

One of the plot holders uses Mustard seed but he rotavates it in 

Zoomer could you see if they could put shed in different spot ?

Have just been offered a load of plums so going to collect them this afternoon 

ginagibbs

Hi all,

Sounds like you are all busy. went to the plot yesterday to mow the paths, 3 hours later still on plot clearing weeds, picking crops,watering raised beds and sewing radishes and rocket.

Still munching our way through courgettes and runner beans, tomatoes just started to go red now, finished the beetroot and carrots, wish I had space to plant more.

Good luck with the shed issue Zoomer that's very inconsiderate of them!

scroggin

Thanks GWRS, I think rotovating it in would work best. Sorry to hear about the shed issue Zoomer, hopefully the guy is reasonable and when he realises it will shade your plot he'll erect it elsewhere. Most sites have rules on such things, he may not be aware of the situation?

Advertisement

I managed to e-mail one of the committee members, someone has spoken to the guy about his shed and he's going to move it further on to his plot. Good result...πŸ‘

Zoomer , yes good result 

Hello , we had a glut of outdoor cucumbers πŸ₯’, having given several away , o/h found recipe for cucumber soup and just had it for lunch it was surprisingly good 

GWRS cucumber soup is good great lunch for you, I made some once

Well the judges came to Woolston train station garden, an hour late cause of trains playing up so they got there at 2.24 instead of 1.24 by train, so we were there from 11.30 till about 3.45, tidying up the gardens to start with

2 of them both called Paul and a tag along wife to one, they had a good look around all the bits of garden and the main area we are doing with veg and flowers, had a high up train man as well as the main man

We took and put up some bunting, a bench we got on gumtree yesterday

To bribe the judges I made a packet cupcake mix also took our table to help with cups of teas and for the hot water maching to go on, so teas and cake,  had bench/ chairs out and had to try and explain what we have done

They enjoyed the garden really liked what we have done over the year stayed for an hour then off again, they have been looking all over the place, in the morning they were in London and yesterday Norfolk

So top awards gold, silver and bronze wont find out till October, they go by points in each section, so long wait for results so fingers crossed

Re-painted my Allotment plot number so need to put that up

Gg. Hope the judges liked the garden.

Cucumber soup sounds good. I made broad bean soup with a glut and runner beans may start to go the same way.

You can't beat a bowl of home made soup. My father used to make pea and ham soup to die for...πŸ˜€

The shed has gone up next door, it's not been built that much further into his plot.... but does let in some light.

scroggin

Ordered some Autumn raspberries so have dug up the bed with annual flowers, coming to an end, have dug a trench and filled with manure. The soil should have settled nicely by the time the canes arrive in late autumn. Everything seems to be advanced from previous years, winter crops are ready now!

Already had some leeks, Brussels are big enough to harvest. Top growth in the parsnips is lush so I dug one to see if it had transferred into large roots. More than happy with the results.

Overall it's been our best year since taking on the allotment.

Scroggin that is massive brilliant, how long you had your plot?

Thanks Zoomer - good about the shed next door plot

Amazing spaces Shed of the year is on at 7pm tonight channel 4 

Went to the allotment yesterday and did a bit of strimming on plot and path also near by field (leisure centre) had a little fayre so got a nice ice cream and a burger yummy helped for lunch

Today a lot of moving of pallets making two pallet piles out of one very large pile, one for small shed and one for compost bins and bit of decking - now pallets sitting on top of weed matting

I get to see the big ditch that was under pallets that was there when I got the plot have to level the ground

Think we saw the biggest spiders going one with really big body and ones really black and large we were flicking them away with sticks out of the pallets and bit of screaming coming from the plot

scroggin

Hi Gardengirl, we got the first half in 2010 and then 3 years later we got the half plot next door. 

Ever so impressed with your parsnips scroggin.

Never had alot of luck with parsnips or carrots.

Amazing spaces was good tonight, the flight simulator was unbelievable.

Pruned my fruit bushes this weekend and took some red and white currant cuttings. Seem to have lots of blackcurrant bushes but only red and White at home.  

Started sowing hardy annuals for next year, not sure if they'll get through the winter though, I"ve loads of seeds so nothing to lose.

Scroggins , good looking parsnip , I would not expect mine to be ready yet or sprouts big enough to pick , just wondering where you are in the Country ? I am near Lincoln 

Gardengirl , didn't like the sound of those spiders πŸ•·

Went away Friday/Saturday for our Anniversary , today general gardening , tomorrow will cut Hedges , hopefully will get to plot Wednesday 

Going to try Swedes again , they have never done well 

Hope alls well 

Advertisement

scroggin

Hi GWRS, I'm in West Kent near Sevenoaks. We're sheltered from the worst of the weather by the North Downs. This year everything has been early.

Scroggins , we have generally good weather compared to the west and north and relativly  dry , we are ok at home as we have a stream at side of garden and allotments have mains water , however , in Winter we can get a cold blast  from Scandinavia ❄️

Has been a good year for fruit πŸ‰ 

I'm in Lancashire, Lancaster.

Being nearer to the Lakes and the coast, we get snow, lots of rain, and water restrictions, if there is a hint of a hot summer😎. Me thinks that is because our reservoirs are open air.

Although, we were hit with a late frost, so strawberries and early blossom fruit trees suffered, it's been a good yr here for fruit and veg.