Start a new thread

1 to 7 of 7 replies

I've recently moved into a new house that has a couple of vegetable patches.  So far I have cleared them of weeds and I'm not sure what I should do next at this time of year?  The soil isn't too bad as I understand it has been well looked after prior to us moving in, but we do live in  clay area so I was wondering if I should buy some manure and then cover it over for the winter maybe???

I'm new to all of this but am keen to start growing some of my own fruit and veg but not really sure where to start?!  I do also have a small greenhouse 👏 

Any help and advice gratefully received 😀

BobTheGardener

Yes, put down a good layer (minimum 2 inches) of well-rotted manure and leave the worms to do their work over the winter.  I don't cover mine but if the manure has weed seeds in it, covering might help reduce the number of weeds you get in the spring.

You could plant garlic now.

Dovefromabove

It's not too late to sow some Broad beans, Aquadulce Claudia will stand up to the winter weather and give you a much earlier crop next year.  I find that having an early crop also avoids black fly attack.

Sounds as if you've got a great garden.  Enjoy and keep is informed as to how things are going  

Thanks everyone for your advice.  I'm going to be busy, that's for sure 😀

Advertisement

TJ, my way would be to spread well rotted manure and gently fork it in and yes the worms will do the rest. A greenhouse as well? You are the lucky one, all you need to get a good start in Spring. The sowing some beans is a good idea I start mine in pots in a cold greenhouse and plant them out in late February. Once the weather warms up dig your patch over rake to a tilth and start your seed sowing or planting. Come back in Spring there are plenty of good dardeners on here to guide you, good luck.

Frank.

i love my veg plot, it has fruit too...at the moment it has been cleared of last bits of veg and beds dug over and several barrow loads of homemade compost ( start a compost heap now if you can with leaves and bits of the garden as you tidy, add to it as you go, i don't really have a plan with mine, leaves, grass cuttings etc, never any food stuffs, it always turns out ok ) piled on after forking the ground over. I'm going to start broadbeans off in pots too in cold greenhouse. I think you could plant gooseberry and other berry bushes at this time, if you fancy fruit, my invicta gooseberry x 2 have been going for 10 years, i picked 8lb off them this year ;), maybe pot up a bluberry in eracaceous compost. I have a few kale plants going and charlotte potatoes in for xmas. In spring i start with plug plants for salad and sow seeds at the same time, then you get quick leaves from your plugs and your seeds follow after ;) so much you can do, just needs a bit of planning to get you going, am sure you will love it,so rewarding....