Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Oh no !!!

who would believe it? I've grown 9 tomato plants from seed, nurtured them, pinched them out , fed every week, and have got 9 gorgeous plants heavy with tomatoes. Today I noticed that 3 or 4 are starting to ripen, lovely looking money-makers ????

And guess what? Tomorrow morning I am going to Poland for a week's holiday ???? And there,s nobody to look after them ????

Last edited: 04 August 2016 17:32:09

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,904

Do you live near anyone on here? Are there any impoverished teens/students nearby? Actually 10 yr old girls are more reliable...any of them about?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Gardeners can't go on holiday, there's always something that needs attention

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Think I have it sorted, my niece has said she will look in on her way home from work each evening, God bless her cotton socks ?

Think I had better do a "do's and don'ts" list ? 

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Once they start ripening Brickman, they don't need much looking after. The plant has 'done it's thing'. If they're inside, you can set up a wicking system with pieces of cloth from a bottle of water to stop them drying out completely.

You could even remove some of them and let them ripen off the plant somewhere till you get back. 

Weather's been so hit and miss here, mine might take till October to ripen!

Last edited: 04 August 2016 18:10:53

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,511

Give them a really good soak before you go away.

Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

That's ideal Brickman. All she needs to do is keep to the same watering regime you've had. Chopping and changing is what leads to problems.No need to feed or anything else. If they're in a greenhouse or similar, she just has to keep them ventilated.Same as the watering - keep to the same method you've had. 

It's only a week  - I'm sure they'll survive  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...