Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Old Compost

Hola,

Ok I'm a complete newbie to this, so be patient. Can I use old potato compost from last years tubs along with general purpose from other pots etc and the tomato compost from the hanging baskets to dig into my raised beds?

My thinking being that my raised beds are on top of a heavy clay soil and I just want to keep digging in as much as possible to break it up as far down as I can. We spent a fortune on various composts last year and I'd like to get as much use out of it as I can.

Cheers Simon

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

Yep-best thing do with it-as a soil conditionerimage

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

Don't do it if you had Blight though, or at least, don't use the compost in areas where you are going to grow potatoes or tomatoes.

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

I use all old compost, planters as a soil coditioner on my clay soil. I target an area for a couple of months and then move on. Slowly I am beginning to see an improvement.

• Simon5Simon5 Posts: 4

Brilliant - many thanks for the quick replies.

Cheers Simon

• All old plants and roots from last crop can be removed and resow into a compost. This can be used as a mulch or soil conditioner for growing plants.

http://www.leggcreekfarm.com/fruit-trees.html