Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Old Potato Tubers

Hi all

I've just finished digging up the last of my potatoes on the allotment and I've rather a lot of green tubers left over. I was wondering how to deal with them. Can I save some to use for next year? If not, is it alright to put them on the compost heap, will they rot down ok or will they start to grow?

Many Thanks

Mick 

Last edited: 09 October 2016 11:30:02

• raisingirlraisingirl Posts: 7,091

Best not to use them next year - they can harbour blight and other diseases.

Yes you can compost them but - depending how good you are at compost heap building - they do sometimes start to grow again. I have a couple of plastic compost bins that are darker and get hotter than my (inadequate) heaps. They don't seem to grow in those.

I eat them. I cut/peel away everything that's green and eat the rest. Mind you I am part Irish so maybe I have special slightly poisonous potato digesting genes?

Last edited: 09 October 2016 11:48:05

Gardening on the edge of Exmoor, in Devon

“It's still magic even if you know how it's done.” 
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

If you have green tubers the potatoes have been exposed to the light when growing.  Make sure you cover them up next year and don't give green ones to pregnant or soon to be pregnant women.

• Hello Raisingirl and Welshonion, thanks for the advice

Mick