London (change)
Today 13°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 5°C
9 messages
17/01/2013 at 21:04

I want to know if anyone ha been successful growing other veg in the green canvas bag that came free with potato two years ago. I would like to try some thing like courgettes but I am not sure they would do well in it.

Any thoughts please

17/01/2013 at 22:31

Hi, last summer we used reusable bags from Morrisons (the plastic woven ones that cost 40p) as raised beds in the greenhouse and grew our chillies, tomatoes, peppers and aubergines in them.  It was very successful and at the end of the season I moved some of my herbs into them for the winter.   We have have fresh thyme and oregano all winter so far.

17/01/2013 at 22:40

I tried this year after I harvested the new potatoes had courgettes squashes carrots  dwarf french beans and dwarf sweetcorn all grew but corgets and squashes were smaller than normal I dont think I fed them enough being in bags they are dependant on you more.I'm going to use a richer compost this year, the carrots and beans were a sucess I have onion sets in now   you can use them  for a couple of tomato plants as well . Watch out though the bags absorb heat and dry out quicker (not been much of a problem this year)

18/01/2013 at 12:26

Patio bags are made of flexible polyethylene with drainage holes in and around the bottom. It is more easy for indoor gardeners who want to grow their veggies on a patio.

http://www.leggcreekfarm.com/fruit-trees.html

18/01/2013 at 12:49

A hint I read somewhere and it seems to have worked is put a J cloth in the bottom to cover the holes before compost, prevents some unwelcome visitors.

18/01/2013 at 13:52

you need to make sure there is good drainage.

23/01/2013 at 01:13
Rosa carriola wrote (see)

A hint I read somewhere and it seems to have worked is put a J cloth in the bottom to cover the holes before compost, prevents some unwelcome visitors.

I put J cloths in the bottom of my troughs last year before planting up and when I emptied them out a few months later the J cloths had completely disappeared.  I suppose they do the job for a little while but not for long.  June

24/01/2013 at 21:46

I have rhubarb crowns in two of my potato bags - they seem to do OK and the early variety is already through in January. They are kept on my patio.

24/01/2013 at 22:05

Courgettes would be fine in potato grow bags just roll down the sides so the bags  aren't as deep and you won't need as much compost. I grow courgettes in flower buckets.

email image
9 messages