Start a new thread

1 to 6 of 6 replies

Can anyone help me - my pear trees produce wonderful blossoms in the spring but alas, no fruit. They are both self-pollinating. I've had one for two years and the other for about seven. When they should be growing fruit the leaves begin curling up and going black.

treehugger80

first off, the growth coming from the bottom is that below the graft joint (look for a lump in the trunk) if it is remove it as that's the root stock growing not the variety,

if they are self fertile then they should be setting? where are you in the country as north of about Lincolnshire you can have trouble with getting pears to set as its too cold for bee's to be about in flowering season

Irenee, do you prune?  Have you pruned?  When? 

those black leaves?  Could be one or two reasons incl scab or even fireblight.  I would spray with a fungicide when new leaves unfurl.  I would also apply a winter wash when trees are dormant after removing all fallen leaves etc.  I would then apply a thick mulch 

Last edited: 19 September 2016 15:30:04

Thank you for your advice. I'll give it another try this autumn/winter... spring.

Dovefromabove

Remove the shoots coming from the base/rootstock.  Clear the grass from around the trunk to a radius of half a metre and mulch. Apply a winter wash as above. Feed with fish blood and bone in the spring. 

Good luck. 

Advertisement

treehugger80 says:

first off, the growth coming from the bottom is that below the graft joint (look for a lump in the trunk) if it is remove it as that's the root stock growing not the variety,

if they are self fertile then they should be setting? where are you in the country as north of about Lincolnshire you can have trouble with getting pears to set as its too cold for bee's to be about in flowering season

See original post

Thanks for your help. I have noticed lumps in the trunk. Would wrong pruning create these?