Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Picking kale

I've grown some kale for the first time this year, it is quite leafy now although not amazing (I think I sowed too late). How do I pick it? Do heads form or do I just pick leaves individually and if so, start picking from the top or bottom of them plant?

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

No, it doesn't form a head. Best to harvest leaf by leaf, starting with the largest towards the bottom, leaving the younger ones to develop.

• Love curly kale.  If it looks like the kale in these pictures you can start taking some http://growcookeatit.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/curly-kale-hero-of-veg-patch.html .  As it says, take some of the leaves from the stems to start with (not the oldest, but not the youngest) that way the growing tip will keep growing and provide you with lots of fresh growth through the winter.  Cut the tough stalks out of the leaf and Bob's your Uncle image 

Just keep the pesky pigeons away - if we get the cold snap we've been promised the pigeons will zoom in and take the lot image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Great thanks - that's the veg for sunday lunch sorted image

• jo4eyesjo4eyes Posts: 2,058

Kale, shredded & stir fried with chopped garlic- absolutely yummy! J.

• Steamed kale with black pepper and a good squeeze of fresh lemon juice image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• kale is a lovely veg,not only to eat but will provide all through winter some green s for the table,just keep picking a few leaves from a couple plants,save a fortune.image