London (change)
Today 19°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
19 messages
11/03/2013 at 15:51

I plan on purchasing a few plants. Just curious if any one else has grown them and what they are like(flavor/production).

11/03/2013 at 16:11

Hi square foot,and well come. I have not grown the Pine berry but the white strawberry is flavorsome but small in comparison to the normal red ,I grow Cambridge myself

11/03/2013 at 18:17
Sorry but I can't see the point of a white strawberry !
Lyn
11/03/2013 at 18:25
It looks a bit insipid with the cream on.
11/03/2013 at 18:29
11/03/2013 at 19:41

Ahem...

11/03/2013 at 19:57

I've seen white strawberries in catalogues but never been tempted too buy. They don't look right. Strawberries most be red !!

11/03/2013 at 22:06

thanks for the responses!!

marshmello unusual  colour makes veg growing in more interesting.

11/03/2013 at 22:48

I agree square foot, were's your sense of adventure Lilylouise and marshmello 

I planted out some at the end of last year, they've come through the winter well. Sowed both pine-berries and white ones from seed, not sure which are planted out as the label went a miss but will know when they start fruiting, I'm assuming if  white they'll be similar tasting to alpine strawberries very different to strawberries we grow with runners which need nothing added, I add sugar to alpine strawberries and let then marinate for a few hours.

I suspect white strawberries are an acquired taste, pine-berries are supposed to taste like pineapples, you might need to suck it and see square foot...  

11/03/2013 at 23:08

Where are you from square foot...as you come up as Tower Hamlet on your profile which is in the eastern part of London and covers much of the traditional East End which now includes the redeveloped Docklands, Canary Wharf, many of the tallest biuldings in London, part of the Olympic Park and is not an area with many residential homes!

12/03/2013 at 00:27

zoomer i just set my location as the default. I don't live near  Tower Hamlet.

12/03/2013 at 00:41

Haha you's are right guys, but for some strange reason the white strawberry does not make me salivate at the sight of it. Strawberries are one of my favourite fruit, hence my nikname - just had 12 Vibrant strawberry plants delivered the other day. So looking forward to getting them into the ground. 

Do let us know what their like, if you buy them. 

12/03/2013 at 00:44

any reason why you don't answer the Q....Where are you from square foot! 

12/03/2013 at 01:24

zoomer i never say where I am from on websites.

12/03/2013 at 06:20

Zoomer

I do have a sense of adventure - I  will be growing  a dozen different colours ,shapes and sizes of Tomatoes,purple,yellow and green climbing beans ,many different Chillies of different shapes and colours,Cape Gooseberries ,Cucamelons and Calaloo this year

White Strawberries just don't do it for me

Pam LL x

12/03/2013 at 09:52

Zoomer, but I expect you know already, Tower Hamlets is put for all those, like me, who don't live in the UK.

Why is a snowdrop so beautiful and a white strawberry just looks anaemic?

11/04/2013 at 21:02
I have grown Pineberry plants now for two years and they taste amazing! The reason I started growing them is birds leave them alone as they don't think that they are ripe!

Please don't confuse them with white strawberries - they are so different and white strawberries don't taste of pineapple at all.

Final tip, bare rooted plants take years to grow, but pot grown (search on google) will fruit this year.
20/02/2014 at 23:36

Good thinking man of kent2! I was planning on getting some as I heard they taste of pineapple. My thoughts were how do they get on grown in pots? 

I live in a flat with a super small garden. 

14/03/2014 at 22:09

Me and my daughter's grow white strawberries,and they taste good. I think it's important to grow different coloured veg/fruit to keep it exciting especially for my girls who love to grow anything that you rarely see in the supermarket,they are aged 8 & 5 and they love growing.

email image
19 messages