London (change)
Today 20°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 14°C
8 messages
15/09/2012 at 22:15

Hi! Does anyone have any advice on how to grow Pink Jester tomatoes? In the greenhouse - or outside? Are they bush or vine? Do they need bees to pollinate? My mum tasted Jester tomatoes at Tatton Park Flower show and said they were the best ever - could'nt find Jester tomatoes, so bought Pink Jester seeds - assume they must be related. Have googled to little effect. All advice gratefully received!

16/09/2012 at 08:05

I haven't heard of Jester/Pink Jester before but Google seems to indicate that they're called Pink Jester. They're a plum-shaped cherry and it's a determinate (bush) plant. They're a F1 hybrid variety.

No tomato needs bees for pollination. They're self-pollinating, the flowers carry both male and female parts. Bees can only be helpful in that their activity can cause the transfer of pollen within the flower. You can achieve the same thing yourself by brushing the flower with your hand or giving it a light flick with your fingers.

Where you grow them depends entirely on your local weather conditions. If you can count on at least a couple of months of decent warm weather - by which I mean mid-20sC - and a spot that gets at least 6 hours a day of sun, you can grow them outside. Otherwise a greenhouse might be better.

20/09/2012 at 22:37

Dear Italophile - grateful thanks for your reply. I didn't know that tomatoes don't need bees to pollinate - that is really helpful, as I am thinking of growing the tomatoes in our porch which is a total suntrap. I was concerned they wouldn't get pollinated - but if I can do that - then one problem is solved. Looking forward to next summer already! Thanks.

01/03/2014 at 02:28

Have been buying jester tomatoes from well known shop and enjoying them so saved a few of the seeds from one.  Planted them just over a week ago and they have germinated nicely.  Hopefully in a few months time I will have some tasty tomatoes even if not quite the same as the shop ones. 

01/03/2014 at 08:17

Seed from F1hybrid tomatoes will not come true to the parent plant. Chances are that all plants will be inferior to the parent. Better to buy new seed.

01/03/2014 at 14:37

Agree with fb.  No harm in growing the saved seed, but I wouldn't rely on just those for your crop - best to sow at least one variety from bought seed.

01/03/2014 at 16:24

I am growing some Italian Tomatoes this year. Found them on the Thompsons Site. One plumb Veriety and one Beefsteak. My chef son was so impressed with last years crop I decided to try something different in addidion. Totaly different to shop tomatoes when home grown.

01/03/2014 at 22:43

I have 35 varieties of tomatoes that have already germinated in my greenhouse jester is the only one from a shop bought tomato the rest are mostly heritage and saved seed from own grown.

email image
8 messages