Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Planting this year after potatoes

LeggiLeggi Posts: 489
Just a quick thread to ask what (if anything) people are planting after having dug their potatoes? We gave over two large spaces to potatoes in the spring and would like to follow on with something rather than leaving the space empty till next year. Any tips on veg to grow for winter would be welcome too image

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

I think we are putting some over wintered brassicas in after our potatoes. Or you could grow hardy onions and garlic, which get planted in autumn

• Mel McbrideMel Mcbride Posts: 112

Same as fleurisa. I also just ordered some sugar beet, I haven't looked it up yet if I can plant in to the old potato beds, but if I can that'll be in there too. I have so many spuds this year, I went a bit over board! image 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138
    Mel Mcbride wrote (see)

Same as fleurisa. I also just ordered some sugar beet, I haven't looked it up yet if I can plant in to the old potato beds, but if I can that'll be in there too. I have so many spuds this year, I went a bit over board! image 

Sugar beet? image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• wrinkly1wrinkly1 Posts: 50

i,ve just sown a row of kohl robi . it say/s on packet o/k for july sowing.and is a quick grower.  hey. whats to lose. cheers wrinkly.1. 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Leeks which were started in the spring.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

Ut - oh, do you know something I don't? image

I just thought it would be fun to try them out. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Dovefromabove wrote (see)
    Mel Mcbride wrote (see)

Sugar beet? image

Mel Mcbride wrote (see)

Ut - oh, do you know something I don't? image

I just thought it would be fun to try them out. 

Well, I grew up on a farm where we grew acres and acres of sugar beet which was then processed at a 'sugar beet factory' to make Silver Spoon sugar - they're really not very pleasant to eat - imagine sugar sprinkled on a potato - image 

You can eat the young leaves as spinach, but Spinach beet is much better.

Anyway, sugar beet is sown in the spring - it doesn't over-winter well.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

I would love to have known you back then! You sound all 'oooph' fed up of it now though image The processing part, that's what I wanted to have a go of. I'm imagining myself surrounded in piles of, just mess everywhere, with a teaspoons worth,  that I won't even fancy trying! I just want to play with it really, see it with my own eyes, I virtually live off the stuff image 

Thanks for telling me all this. I get so 'bothered' by reading things that tell me one thing, then speak to an actual person and it's the opposite. Not to worry though, I bought tobacco seeds (that I'm unlikely to want to smoke) ready for next year, so they'll have to be seed tin buddies for now ~ Patience is learned isn't it? Definitely doesn't come naturally haha

• LeggiLeggi Posts: 489
    I've never really had much luck growing either winter onions or brassicas, I'll certainly be putting plenty of garlic in this autumn though.

I love the idea of growing my own tobacco though image

Ebay, 1.99. I'll let you know if they germinate lol image 

Maybe I should find another strand n brand before summer, just in case  image