Start a new thread

1 to 10 of 10 replies

Having had a massive family Christmas I was once again horrified at the food waste.  Everything that hasn't been opened will be taken tomorrow to our local food bank  So far I have found a plum pudding (bought before I knew our numbers) three packets of totally unnecessary biscuits, chocs etc and I huge packet of nappies (apparently this is something they really appreciate) there are cans of unopened coke and bottles of juice. Children have left behind chocolate bars and bags of confiscated sweeties So they will all go too.

This will be the first stop at the food bank in my local Tesco tomorrow.   Hosta may correct me on this but I can see no reason why donations from other sources should not be acceptable in store .

thank you

Hostafan1

LP, our food bank collection in store takes anything which can be used. 

I'm rather pleased to say the good folk round here donated so much stuff, our local food bank had to ask us to hold it until after christmas as they had been given so much, they couldn't sort it as they had run out of room.

Foodbanks are a damning indictment of our times, but it's heartening that so many are prepared to donate to them.

madpenguin

I never waste any food (I can't afford to).

All the biscuits,chocolates,drink will usually keep for several months.

The chicken carcass and all the leftovers are in the freezer ready for making soup etc sometime next year.

AnniD

That's good madpenguin, but Lillypilly makes a good point. We were given a hamper which had several items we won't use, so the foodbank is a good idea, I hate the thought of just chucking them out.

We have two bags of coffee (for cafetieres etc), which we can't make use of, no idea if the foodbank can?

madpenguin

I actually made my Mum a food hamper as her Christmas present this year made up from lots of things that she likes,but practical things like baked beans,soup,coffee as well as a small bottle of Baileys.Nothing that needed using immediately.

She then went and won a HUGE hamper in a raffle.We sorted it out into things that needed using fairly soon and stored away other things for later.

The only item she had no use for was a jar of piccalilli !!!

Last edited: 30 December 2017 10:15:03

Advertisement

Madpenquin, I would have put all the meaty bones and left overs in a pan of cold water with all the veg left and made a stock by slow cooking it, (sling it all in and forget it on simmer for a few hours) then froze the stock. That can be done in small bags when cool and you make soup with the stock as a base, did it for years and now Daughters do the same. Add herbs to taste.

Frank.

madpenguin

That is what I do normally,it is just I have been too busy to cook up the bones and leftovers over Christmas so I just put everything in the freezer until I have the time later next year.Possibly have a nice warming soup in February!

1Runnybeak1

Brilliant idea LP.    Will do !! 

Can we also remember not to over order on our prescriptions.   Only order what you need and a few in case of emergencies.   Here's a piece I posted on another thread that just highlights how much money is wasted by people over stocking their medications.  This was only in the East Midlands and for Paracetamol only.    Makes you think.....

Paracetamol is used as part of pain management for people with cancer and hip problems because the NHS is too tight to give them more the expensive drugs. 

1Runnybeak1

Yes I know  LC.  Disgraceful !    Iv no objection to people having it who really need it, im saying to those who are stock piling prescription medcines to think twice before you order more.