London (change)
Today 23°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 14°C
12 messages
10/06/2012 at 17:35

My peas and broad beans are just developing, so I hope to be able to start harvesting them pretty soon.  Do I just feel the pods until they appear full to bursting?  Also is it too late to re-sow for another crop for later in the season?

Many thanks

Lesley

10/06/2012 at 17:41
Don't know about broad beans never grown them. Regarding peas I pick mine when the pods have swelled out and feel firm, but I don't leave them on the plant long because the smaller peas taste better in my opinion. I don't think it's too late to sow more, I will being sowing more next weekend.
10/06/2012 at 19:16

With peas, I think when you try opening a pod straight from the plant, you'll know they're ready when they're good and sweet. If you leave them until the pods bulge, they get a bit tough and starchy.

There's still time to sow some more peas (not so sure about broad beans), although best not to do it on the same site.

10/06/2012 at 19:36

I just don't want to waste any of those little jewels of sweetness, I remember making myself sick as a child eating them straight from the pod.  My first peas from my own garden, it is almost like Christmas, sooo much anticipation.

10/06/2012 at 19:52

I have just planted peas if that helps any. 

10/06/2012 at 21:00

You can still sow peas and I think french/runner beans not so sure about broad beans though.

You'll know when peas are ready because you'll begin to see the outline of the pea in the pod. I've already started to pick mine, start picking them as soon as you think they are ready, or at a size you want them, there won't be many to start with but the plant will produce more flowers and before you know it you'll have a glut.   

11/06/2012 at 14:58

Zoomer44, What type and when sown please. I would like some this early next year.

11/06/2012 at 23:46

I'm in the NW and picking mangetout, Delikata and Pea Purple Podded 'Purple Pea' I think that's what it's called(junglseeds)  The purple podded plants are about 5ft tall and don't seem to want to stop growing.   

Aslo have Pea Sugar Snap(simply seed) and pea's 'early onward' (Wilko's) these are at least 4ft tall and in flower. I've picked the imature pods to encourage more flowers.

I sowed them indoors in toilet rolls and once the height of the roll started to put them in the GH daily to stop them going leggy. Will post the date sown tomorrow, it's on the label planted out with them but to dark to find now.   

12/06/2012 at 16:09

I have just sowed another 10 seeds, I did not realise that more flowers will develop as I pluck the pods.  I tried some of the peas this morning straight from the plant, they are just the sweetest things in the world.  I have been living off spinach for the past three weeks, it is so nice to have something else to enjoy.

12/06/2012 at 16:15
We picked a few peas at the weekend, delicious!!! Going to plant more too. Living off lettuce and radish at the mo!!! Cucumber plants are not up to much tho. Any recommendations for a good type?
14/06/2012 at 22:16

Johntheeng-checked the label and sowed my first pea's on 26th Feb on damp kitchen roll and planted them up in toliet rolls but only expected the peas 'early onwards' to survive as they were planted out in April and we had a few frosts but the garden is sheltered and the risk paid off

15/06/2012 at 14:49

Thanks very much Zoomer

email image
12 messages