London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 24 messages
22/05/2012 at 11:35

I am growing potatoes in pots and have been earthing up.  They have now reached the top of the pot and I now have a little mound!  I can't earth up much more so is is OK to just let them grow naturally now.  Any advice greatly appreciated.

22/05/2012 at 11:46

That is fine !!

22/05/2012 at 19:22

When you say 'pot' how large are you talking? You need to give them adequate growing room. I plant mine in old compost bags, initially rolled  down, then the sides rolled up as you earth up to whatever height you need. The bag's sides also help shade the spuds from the sun. I find it better than ,say, old dustbins which some gardeners use.

22/05/2012 at 22:34

It is a purpose bought pot for growing potatoes in.  It's about 3-4' high and I have only planted about 4 spuds in it.  Just a trial really, but I do like your idea of using old compost bags, what a good idea.  Thanks for your reply (and the one abov also) and if they are a success, I may try more next year, but they do take an awful lot of compost!!!!

22/05/2012 at 23:18

They do take a lot of compost but I think they're worth it. For one thing they will last much longer than shop bought ones - as does most hone-grown veg. I also grow mine in pots so I don't bother with main crop. I usually buy ones that cost more or you can't get in supermarkets like Pink Fir Apple, or Lady Cristl. Given the rain we've had over the past 2 months I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a bumper crop!

su6
23/05/2012 at 09:03

I'm having a go at growing potatoes for the first time. How do I know when they are ready to 'pick'. I am growing them in a large plastic pot thingy with handles. Will they be OK? I can see shoots coming up now. I'm so excited. What other vegetables can I grow in pots? I've got a small unheated greenhouse.

23/05/2012 at 13:00

Tatties are classed into 3 groups first earlies, second earlies and maincrop. Which variety did you grow ??

23/05/2012 at 18:35

I am currently growing first earlies, but I really can't remember the variety.  Am letting them just grow above the earthing up now.  If successful I would like to grow some for Christmas.  Would I be able to do this or would frost be a problem?

23/05/2012 at 18:57

First earlies take around 10 weeks from planting to harvest. I've heard of people growing them for xmas, never grown them at that time of the year, myself.  If you grow them under cover, say in a greenhouse or polytunnel, you may get away with it.

su6
23/05/2012 at 19:43

I can't remember which variety I planted - King Edwards I think. Can I re-use the compost to gro more after I have harvested these (ever the optimist!)

23/05/2012 at 22:02

Personally, I wouldn't - use it for something else.

24/05/2012 at 11:00

Alison, you can cut the cost of compost by reusing it the following year but make sure the potatoes weren't diseased at all. I store the old compost after harvesting in an old bin with a lid to keep out unwanted seeds. The following spring, I'll mix it well with my own compost out of the heap (50/50) to refresh its nutritional value. You can also bang in some chicken pellets or appropriate additives 'to taste'. You're right tho, filling a few big containers with new compost can seem extravagant.

24/05/2012 at 19:07

Su6...,.I am growing carrots, parsnip ,leeks, peas, garlic, salad leaves, aubergines, tomatoes, courgettes in pots..the only thing i would say is when growing any root veg in pots make sure the pots are deethis is my 1st year at planting vegp enough or you will end with with stubby veg....this is my 1st year at planting veg and i too am getting excited to see how it all is..good luck

I'

01/06/2012 at 15:23

I echo Su6...when do you know they are ready for harvesting.  Mine are about five feet high in a pot and just starting to flower?

01/06/2012 at 15:33

It depends on whether they are earlies or maincrop-but as a general rule- after flowering you can harvest some

01/06/2012 at 16:59

I got told you have to wait till the green is dying off .

01/06/2012 at 17:07

Not so-It depends on whether they are earlies or maincrop-if you watch GW  or Beechgrove you will see them lifting earlies in a few weeks still in green leaf.

01/06/2012 at 21:08

How would I know if they were maincrop or earlies?

01/06/2012 at 21:09

Name of varietywhat are you growing?

01/06/2012 at 21:20

I'll look in the morning, bit dark to venture out into the garden at the moment...the bears might get me

1 to 20 of 24 messages