London (change)
Today 23°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 14°C
12 messages
21/07/2013 at 13:21

Hi folks, could you tell me if this is blight or just scorched leaves after the 30+ degrees we have had here

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/27900.jpg?width=360&height=350&mode=max

21/07/2013 at 13:46

Doesn't look like blight to me.  More likely to be due to a magnesium deficiency - spray the leaves with a solution of Epsom salts, 1 tablespoon to 1 gallon of water, applying once every two weeks.  Should cure the problem.  

The high rainfall last year may have leached mineral salts out of the soil so you could apply some Epsom salts to the soil before growing anything next season.

21/07/2013 at 14:10

Thanks dovefromabove, I must admit it doesn't look like blight to me

21/07/2013 at 14:13

It looks like something is having a bit of a nibble but it shouldn't affect the crop. What type are they and how long have they been planted.? My early maincrop valor. have flowered and the leaves started to go lighter than the row of lady balfour next door to it. I will be digging up this row and using them over the next couple of weeks.

21/07/2013 at 14:19

Looks a bit like flea beetle damage.

21/07/2013 at 14:31

Hi fidgetbones the potatoes are called KESTRAL 2nd EARLY'S 

21/07/2013 at 15:12
BobTheGardener wrote (see)

Looks a bit like flea beetle damage.

I did think about that Bob, but when you zoom in I can't see any real 'damage' i.e. holes etc.  and the pale colour of the leaves, plus last year's excessive rain plus this year's dry weather makes me think of magnesium deficiency - I know this is something my potato farming brother has been keeping an eye open for this year.  

British weather - who'd be a gardener eh? 

21/07/2013 at 16:30

You might be right, Dove!  I know what you mean about the weather - I wonder what'll happen when all the rain that's now forecast arrives?  My garden is going crazy at the moment - still have some foxgloves just coming into flower while half the delphiniums have finished!  I tried some "Kabuki" brocolli for the first time this year as it was advertised as a "mini vegetable" so planted it with really close spacing (there are only two of us, so didn't want tonnes of the stuff.)  It has all now matured (typical of F1 hybrids) and each head is "supermarket" size and there's not enough room in the freezer..  Looks like friends and family benefit yet again! 

21/07/2013 at 16:36

Nick if the potatoes have been in 12 weeks and have flowered,I would dig one up and see how many/what size potatoes  you have. It may be that they're ready.

KEF
21/07/2013 at 16:47

My first earlies in sacks have been slow. But neighbour who grows 2nd earlies has been digging his out of the garden.

As FidgetB says I'd have a look at a root, might well be ready. If not you've got a nice unexpected meal

If they come out really dry and not ready you'll know to water them more. I don't worry about leaves on spuds, actual potatoes are usually fine.

22/07/2013 at 13:16

'Sharpes Express' first earlies have done poorly this year,whilst the 'Charlotte' second early have done quite well.

'Kestrel' although classed as second early can be left up to 20 weeks, and if all goes well will produce some really good sized tubers, ideal for jackets, not good for mashing though, they seem to turn to something like wallpaper paste.

24/07/2013 at 00:46

Can't really tell from the picture, but if it's a magnesium defficiency the leaf starts to turn yellow (with the veins staying green).  Magnesium is really important for chlorophyl production hence the yellowing.

Blight usually has a yellow "halo" around the black/brown spots and the leaves start to wilt.

Kestrel were the first 2nd early variety I grew.  As Netherfield pointed out they make wonderful jackets if you leave them in for a long time.

email image
12 messages