London (change)
Today 15°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
7 messages
02/09/2013 at 12:01

This year we planted Orla, which were lovely small or large, will grow again next year. Lady Balfour, disappointing and Blue Danube, not too bad but will not be growing the other two again. All three had some slug damage but Orla the least and Blue Danube the most.

We only grow first and second earlies, not having enough room for main crop.

Which varieties did you grow and what were they like?

02/09/2013 at 12:42

Sharpes Express,which were a poor crop this year,although tasty.

Charlotte,reliable crop and again tasty.

Juliette, amazing crop this year,an early maincrop which is still like a salad spud,tasty and a keeper.

Kestrel, not as good as previous years for size,a second early which can be left in the ground longer and then make lovely Jacket spuds, again a good keeper.

King Edward,old favourite of ours,decent crop,lifted earlier than I would have liked due to wind damage snapping the haulm.

These are the varities I will stick to for the future having tried various others over the last ten years.

02/09/2013 at 14:35
Winston earlies were rubbish, kestrel poor (not again) Cara ok (not again)
02/09/2013 at 14:41

Charlotte,excellant.large crop tasty potatoes.

Nadine,smaller crop but still good tasting.

Maris Peer, not quite as good as Nadine.

I usually grow Lady Cristel ,but was unable to get the seed poatoes this year.

Last year tried International Kindey.........a complete failure,would not try again.

02/09/2013 at 16:14

Agree Charlottes are lovely, tried Kestrel, nice taste but crop was small. We have tried Lady Cristel, might try that again next year. And might try Juliette.

02/09/2013 at 18:40

Kestrel have done best for me out of the 5 varieties I grew.  A bit smaller than usual (probably due to the hot, dry weather) but plenty of them and they have not been attacked by keeled slugs which are a big problem in my clay soil.

02/09/2013 at 21:09

I've only eaten my Winston, Pentland Javelin and Red Duke of York, I've three more varieties left in their bags yet to be dug up - Estima, Wilja and Desire. 

For grow bags the first three have done well for size and produced a reasonable crop, Red Duke York's my favourite, makes nice chips and mashes well. I had some huge Winston spuds and Pentland Javelin were nice and tasty. Have no complaints with any of the varieties.     

email image
7 messages